Andhra Chicken Curry – This is one of the traditional ways of cooking chicken curry using the main ingredient as ground masala paste. This is a South Indian – Andhra style recipe where locals call it as Kodi Kura.
Preparing this recipe may vary from place to place, some use only poppy seed gravy and lemon juice to make this recipe. Poppy seeds give you gravy and lemon extract will lower spiciness in the recipe. We have used fewer ingredients like tomato, poppy seeds and coconut grate.
Ingredients for Andhra Chicken Curry:
Chicken – 1 kg.
Oil – 3 large spoons.
Onions – 1 cup (finely chopped)
Green chilies – 5 no. (split into half and cut into two pieces)
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp.
Salt – 2 tbsp. (as per your taste)
Tomatoes – 2 cups.
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tbsp.
Water – Required to make gravy
Coriander leaves – to garnish.
Ingredients for making Andhra Chicken Masala paste:
Garlic cloves – 12 no.
Ginger piece – 2 inch (sliced into small pieces)
Dry coconut piece – 2 inch (sliced into small pieces)
Cloves – 7 no.
Cinnamon stick – 6 no. (1-inch size)
Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp.
Coriander seeds – 3 tbsps.
Cumin seeds/ jeera – 1 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsps.
How to Make Andhra Chicken Curry:
- Clean chicken pieces with water and remove excess water.
- Add fresh curry leaves.
- Make a coarse paste, if needed we can add little water to make it paste.
- Take large kadai and add 3 large spoons of oil.
- Add 1 cup sliced onions and slit green chilies.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle ½ tbsp. turmeric powder and mix well.
- Make space within chicken pieces and add ginger garlic paste.
- Mix well and cover kadai with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp. salt and mix well. (adjust salt as per your taste)
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook for a while.
- Sprinkle red chili powder and mix.
- Add required amount of water to make gravy. (thick tastes good)
- Add chicken masala paste and mix. Cover with lid and cook until you get a thick gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot.
- Andhra Chicken Curry is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Andhra Chicken Curry Video: