Beerakaya Vada Recipe is one of the simple south Indian low spicy healthy snack recipes. As this is made from vegetable, it is low in calories and also absorbs less oil; it becomes one of the idle snack recipe ideas.
Apart from snacks, Ridge gourd is famous for making curries and chutneys in South India. In my previous post, I have explained beerakaya pappu (dal recipe) and beerakaya pachidi (fiber rich chutney made with the skin of ridge gourd which tastes great with plain rice or with dosa recipe).
As mentioned above Ridge Gourd Vada is one of the healthy recipes packed with dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals like zinc, magnesium, and iron. As this vegetable is low in fat, it is an ideal recipe for food lovers and weight conscious people. More over your children love to have it as evening snack as this is crunchy from outside and soft from inside.
Ingredients for Beerakaya Vada:
Ridge gourd/ Beerakaya – 1 (small size)
Rice flour – 7 tbsp.
Bengal gram powder – 1tbsp.
Onions – 1 no.
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp.
Salt – as per your taste
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 1 tbsp.
Oil – for deep fry
How to Make Beerakaya Vada Recipe:
- Clean beerakaya with water.
- Peel the outer layer of the beerakaya and mince onions.
Tip: You can use the outer layer to make fry out of it or even chutney.
- After removing the skin cut into pieces and keep aside
Note: Check each and every piece of the vegetable, some might be sour and damage the whole curry.
- In a wide vessel add onions, curry leaves, beerakaya, cumin seeds, rice flour and a little salt.
- Mix these ingredients with the help of water and make the tight pack.
- If needed you can sprinkle a little water on the top so as to keep moisture.
- Take some lump in your hand and press and deep fry.
- Let them fry until they turn golden brown.
- Beerayaka Vada Recipe is ready to serve.
- Put Ridge Gourd Vada on a tissue paper so that excess oil gets absorbed.