Brinjal Peas Curry, Vankaya Batani Kura, How to Make Brinjal Peas Curry
In another variation, people also add potatoes in this recipe. Apart from this all the hype, this recipe can be done with basic ingredients which are mostly available in every kitchen. This version of the recipe uses dark eggplant vegetables so one must take care of insects.
Ingredients: (1 cup = 200 ml.)
Brinjal – 250 gms.
Dry green / white peas – 100 gms.
Oil – 3-4 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Cumin Seeds – ½ tbsp.
Onions – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 1 cup
Green chilies – 7 no.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp.
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp.
Garam masala powder – ½ tbsp.
Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. (as per your taste)
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp. (to garnish)
How to Make Brinjal Peas Curry:
- Soak dry green/ white peas for at least 2-3 hours and pressure cook them for 10 minutes.
Tip: Don’t throw away the boiled water as it carries nutrients of peas.
- In a pan add oil, once it is heated add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Chop onions into small pieces and slit green chilies diagonally and add them.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a while till its rawness goes way, add curry leaves.
- Clean and cut brinjals into small pieces, add them.
Tip: While cutting brinjals, put them in a salt water so that they don’t turn their color. Also, check for insects.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix all ingredients and close the pan with the lid and cook for a minute.
- Slice tomatoes into small pieces and add to above mix.
- Again close the lid and cook till tomatoes turn tender.
- Add boiled peas and mix well.
- Adjust heat to medium temperature and add 1 tbsp. red chili powder and boiled pea stock (1 glass).
- Close the lid and cook further 2 minutes.
- Once you get thick gravy add coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Garnish Brinjal Peas Curry or Vankaya Batani Kura with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.
Brinjal Peas Curry or Vankaya Batani Kura Video: