Buttermilk Murukku Recipe, Majjiga Jantikalu Recipe, Pulla Jantikalu recipe
Buttermilk Murukku Recipe or Majjiga Jantikalu or Pulla Jantikalu Recipe is one of the spicy and crunchy Diwali snacks. In South India, this recipe is made even during Sankranthi festival. Indians have a tradition of making sweet as well as spicy snacks during festival season.
Once Buttermilk Murukku Recipe is cooled, one can experience crispiness, also we need to take care that they are cooked on medium flame or else there is a tendency of getting color from outside but doesn’t cook from inside. They can be stored for days when stored in an airtight container. Now a day this snacks is being packed and sold in all sweets shops of India.
Everyone has their way of making Majjiga Jantikalu some add buttermilk and some don’t but buttermilk gives sourness to this recipe and has its own unique flavor.
Ingredients: (1 cup = 200 ml.)
Rice flour – 3 cups
Nuvvulu/ Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp.
Vaamu/ Tymol – ¼ tbsp.
Salt – ½ tbsp.
Red chili powder – ½ tbsp.
Butter – 50 gms. (unsalted)
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Oil – to deep fry
Water – to mix the dough.
How to Make Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu:
- First, sieve flour and remove foreign particles (if any present).
- Add 3 cups of rice flour and add nuvvulu/ sesame seeds.
- Crush thymol seeds on hands and add it to flour.
- Add salt, red chili powder, butter and buttermilk.
- Mix all ingredients and make the soft and hard dough by adding required amount of water.
- Make small lump of dough and put it in Buttermilk Murukku press.
- Take a steel plate and apply oil to it and press Majjika Jantikalu on it.
Tip: Greasing plates makes jantikalu slide into oil pan easily.
Note: Make 2-4 murukku shapes on the plate so that while frying it becomes easy to drop into oil.
- Heat oil in a kadai and once it’s hot, add press into it and deep fry them on low heat.
- Fry them until they reach golden brown.
- Serve them when they are cooled.
Note: Store Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu once are cooled in an airtight container.
Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu Video: