Channa Bhatura Recipe, How to Make Channa Bhatura, Chole Bhature
Ingredients for Channa Bhatura:
Kabuli channa/ Chickpeas (soaked overnight) – 1 cup
Tomato – 1 large
Onions – 2 large
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 ½ tsp.
Ginger (grated) – 1 tsp.
Garlic (crushed) – 1 tsp.
Lemon (juice extracted) – 1
Oil – 2 tsp.
Ghee – 1 tsp.
Green chillies (slit) – 4
Bay leaves – 2
Sugar – 1 tsp.
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp.
Clove powder – ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garam masala powder – A pinch
Pepper powder– A pinch
Salt – As per your taste.
Tea pouch – 1 (if not available put 1 tsp. of tea leaves in a muslin cloth)
Maida/ plain flour – 2 cups
Yogurt / curd – 2 tsp.
Milk – sufficient amount to knead the dough
Oil – For deep fry
Butter – 2 tsp.
Soda Bicarbonate – ½ tsp.
How to Make Channa Bhatura:
Preparation of Bhatura:
- Sieve maida/ plain flour, soda bicarbonate, and salt together
- Add yogurt and butter to knead. Make it into the soft dough.
- In order to maintain moisture, cover the dough with the wet cloth.
- Keep aside for about 5 hours.
Tip: Take care that the cloth covered over the dough is wet and don’t let it dry
- Knead the dough once again before frying.
- Make small balls and roll to make thin layer with the help of some flour
- Heat the oil, once the oil is heat, fry until golden brown in color turning only once.
Preparation of Channa:
- Wash and soak Channa for about 5 hours.
- Cook chickpeas adding enough water, bay leaves, and tea pouch until cooked.
- Cool and keep aside. Also put about 2 cups of drained water aside.
- Grind 6 tsp. of boiled chickpeas, one onion, ½ tomato, ½ tsp. coriander and keep aside.
- Chop remaining onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds starts spluttering add ginger garlic paste, stir for a minute
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes and fry further.
- Keep adding chickpeas paste, red chilli, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and pepper powder and fry further for about 4 minutes
- Add drained chickpeas water, boiled chickpeas and cook until you obtain thick gravy.
- To add additional flavor, heat ghee in a small pan and fry cinnamon powder, chillies and clove powder and pour hot over channa masala.
- Squeeze few drops of lemon and stir gently.
- Channa Bhatura Recipe is ready. Garnish with onion and lemon slices. Serve hot