Dahi Vada Recipe, How to Make Dahi Vada Recipe, Dahi Bhalla Recipe
Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe is one of the popular snack recipes in north India. Usually, spicy vada is dipped in yogurt and soaked for a period of time and then served at room temperature or chilled. Sometimes this recipe is also served as a side dish.
Ingredients for Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
Moong Dal (washed) – ¾ cup.
Urad Dal (washed) – ¼ cup
Oil to fry
Yogurt/Dahi – 1 ½ cup
Tamarind chutney – 2 tsp.
Chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Cumin seed (roasted) powder – ½ tsp.
Salt – 1 tsp.
How to Make Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
Making of Vadas:
- Soak dal for about 6-7 hours with 5 cups of water
- Make sure both Dal’s are washed properly (wash until you get clear water while distilled)
- Drain water and blend to smooth paste by adding half table spoon salt.
Note: Try to use very less water while blending to lower oil consumption while deep fry.
- Beat the paste either with your hand or whipping machine so that you get fluffy batter.
- Heat oil under the medium flame and place the batter once the oil reaches optimum heat.
Tip: Try to place little batter, if the oil is heated then the batter raises up.
- Fry vada until they reach the golden color.
Yogurt/ Dahi mixture:
- Whisk two cups of yogurt by adding ½ cup water and ½ table spoon salt.
Tip: Adding water to yogurt makes vada absorb water in the yogurt and swell.
- Pour this yogurt mix over vada and soak for at least 20-30 minutes.
- You can even refrigerate after soaking and serve chilled.
- Make sure you pick vada’s slowly and they don’t break.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish by pouring extra yogurt over vada’s and sprinkle a little salt, chili powder and cumin seed powder.
- Sprinkle tamarind chutney and serve.
Tip: You can even garnish by placing dry red chili over Dahi Vada fried in ghee which gives you spicy and tangling taste.
Tip: For garnishing of Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe, you can add black mustard seeds fried in oil and mix with yogurt.