Dahi Vada Recipe, How to Make Dahi Vada Recipe, Dahi Bhalla Recipe
Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe is one of the popular snack recipes in north India. Usually, spicy vada is dipped in yogurt and soaked for a period of time, later it is served by tempering with red chilies and other ingredients and served at room temperature or chilled. Sometimes this recipe is also served as a side dish.
Ingredients for Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
Urad dal – 1 cup
Yogurt – 2 cup.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Dry red chilies – 3 no.
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Ginger – ¼ cup.
Green chilies – ¼ cup.
Asafetida – a pinch
Water – To soak dal and to make buttermilk.
Salt – 3 tbsp. (as per your taste)
Oil – to deep fry.
How to Make Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe:
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour and add to wet grinder, after few seconds of grind, add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you want to soak dal early then add a piece of iron while soaking.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add little water while grinding.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard which helps in absorbing less oil while deep fry.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Whisk batter rapidly for a minute to get spongy vadas.
Preparation of Dahi/ yogurt/ buttermilk:
- Take 2 cups of yogurt and add ½ tbsp. salt and whip with whisker stick.
- Add water and dilute yogurt to required consistency.
Tip: We need to whip curd before adding water to give it creamy touch.
Making of Vada:
- Heat oil in a large kadai, once you feel oil reached optimum heat drop a small lump of batter to check oil heat if it floats then oil is ready to make vada.
- First, soak your hands in water, take a small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat, then make a small hole in the middle. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of medu vada machine or repeat above step by using polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all of them change their color to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place them directly into buttermilk.
- Keep them aside for a minute so that vada absorbs yogurt.
- In a tawa, heat 1 spoon of oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and little asafetida.
- Add 2 tbsp. curry leaves, dry red chilies and sauté for a while.
- While it’s hot, add this mix to Dahivada and sprinkle little turmeric powder to attain yellowish color.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well till all the ingredients are mixed.
- Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla Recipe is done, serve chilled.
Dahi Vada Video Recipe: