Garam Masala Powder
Garam masala powder is a blend of toasted aromatic spices. This can be called as Indian magic ingredient which enhances the taste of the recipe. You find this magic ingredient in almost all north Indian dishes. Garam masala powder is found in almost all general stores and in many variants. But my version is more aromatic and of course very fresh.
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp.
Cardamom seeds – 2tsp.
Coriander seeds – 2tsp.
Cinnamon stick (broken up) – one 3 inch piece
Black peppercorns – 2 tsp.
Whole cloves – 1 tsp.
Saffron – 1/2 tsp. (optional)
Nutmeg powder – 1tsp.
Preparation of Garam Masala Powder:
- Put coriander seeds, black pepper corns, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, grated nutmeg, saffron, white cloves in a pan and toast all the ingredients at medium heat.
- Toast the above mixture occasionally until they turn their respective colors.
Tip: You will notice aromatic smell out of the roast or roast for 10 minutes. which ever is convenient.
Note: Please do not raise the heat to save your time. By doing so you may burn the spices and the taste will change.
- Once the spices are toasted perfectly, let them cool completely.
- Grind the above mixture to fine powder. At last add nutmeg powder and saffron and mix thoroughly.
- You can use immediately or store in a air tight container.
- Garam masala powder preserved in air tight container and kept in dry condition can remain for about 3 months