Hyderabadi Haleem is very popular recipe prepared during the period of Ramzan. Recipe for haleem is high in calories, Muslims consume it after breaking fast to regain exhausted energy. It is made from special herbs and meat which is cooked and mashed hard to gain soft texture.
Ingredients for Haleem:
Wheat (grounded or whole) – 250 gms
Mutton (boneless) – 500 gms
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp.
Onions (finely chopped) – 3
Split red lentil – 150 gms
Bengal gram dal – 150 gms
Mash dal – 150 gms
Chilli powder – 2 tsps
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Rice – 150 gms
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 100 gms
Ghee – 2 tsp
Lemon – 2
Egg – Boiled
Cashew nuts (fried in ghee)
Salt to taste
How to make Haleem:
- Soak all dals, rice and wheat for 3 hours
- Clean mutton and add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt and chilli powder
- Let the above mixture marinate for at least one hour
- Pressure cook marinated mutton, soaked wheat and dals with half mug water for at least 45 minutes
- Grind the above mixture into a fine paste.
- In a pan, fry sliced onions till golden brown
- Add the grounded mixture along with fried onions (putting half part of the onions aside).
- Stir continuously until the water dries. Add Ghee and cook for more 30 minutes.
- Dress with remaining fried onion, boiled egg(half sliced), Coriander leaves and cashew nuts.
- Haleem is ready to serve. Serve hot.