It is one of the staple proteins packed breakfast in South India. As it’s cooked on steam, its caloric values don’t get burnt.
If you are thinking how to make Soft Idli Recipes then there are few points one should be taken care. Urad dal must be insect free and new, make use of rock salt or non-iodized salt and maintain warm temperature for better fermentation.
Urad dal (Minapappu) – ½ cup
Idli ravva/ rice – 1 cup
Rock salt/ non-iodised salt – required amount
Water – required amount
Poha – 2 tbsp (optional)
Oil – to grease idli plates
Preparation of Idli recipe:
- Wash urad dal and soak for at least 6 hours.
- If using whole urad dal you need to clean well until its skin gets peeled off.
- If you are using poha then add them to urad dal and soak them along with it.
- Clean idli ravva so that there are no insects. Soak ravva separately.
- Drain excess water from dal and poha, transfer to a grinding jar. Add rock salt (optional, you can even add during fermenting).
- While grinding add little water occasionally.
Tip: Add little dal as per your jar and make sure the batter doesn’t get hot while grinding, as it makes idli hard.
- Make sure the batter is not runny, it should be a bit thick.
- Transfer to another vessel.
- Remove excess water from ravva by squeezing with two hands.
- Mix ravva and batter in a single vessel and mix well with your hands.
- Keep aside in a warm place for 6-12 hours so that batter gets fermented and get Soft and Spongy Idli Recipe.
Tip: I prefer whole night if its winter ill cover the vessel with the bigger vessel to maintain warm condition while fermenting.
Tip: If you feel the batter is thick you can add a little water. Also, few people add salt while fermenting rather while grinding.
- Grease idli plates/molds and pour batter into it.
- Pour water in a steamer and place this molds.
Tip: Don’t put extra batter into the mold, it may get spilled.
- Cook on medium high flame for 10 minutes. Off the flame and leave it for a minute or two so that it gets cooked over steam.
- Serve sponge smooth idli recipe with sambar or coconut chutney.