Imarti is a famous North Indian sweet. It is available in most of the sweet shops. It is a variant of jalebi, here we use urad dal instead of flour. It is less juicy when compared to native jalebi. Its shape and color make us mouthwatering.
Urad dal – 2 cups
Sugar – 3 cups
Water – 300 ml.
Cardamom ground – ½ tsp.
Ghee (to fry) – 500 gms.
- Soak urad dal for atleast 16-17 hours. It’s best if you soak it during whole night.
- Wash and clean if there is any skin, drain.
- Grind to smooth thick paste. Add color in a little water and mix well in the paste.
- If you are using any mixer grinder instead of stone grinder then beat the paste well so that it turns out fluffy after grinding.
- Put the paste under normal room temperature with lid closed, if the temperature is cold then put for one more extra hour
Preparation of sugar syrup:
- Take equal proportion of water and sugar i.e.: 1:1 ratio
- Take broad and low bottomed vessel for preparation of sugar syrup.
- Add cardamom powder and boil the sugar syrup for 30 minutes
- On the other hand heat the frying pan and add the ghee.
- Using imarti bottle or soft plastic sauce bottle which has a small nozzle, form imartis in the hot ghee.
- Lower the flame so that it turns into crispy.
Tip 1: You can substitute 12 x 12 inch thick white cloth with that of plastic bottle having button size hole in center.
- Here in this case you will put the batter in the cloth and hold the paste like a pouch and squeeze
Tip 2: Shaping of Jangri : First form a circle, then make continuous ringlets along the ring still you come to your staring point.
- Remove from ghee and dip in the hot sugar syrup.
- Soak for 3 minutes, drain the liquid
- Imarti is ready, serve hot
- Urad dal is a good source of energy as it replenishes the body iron storage.
- It is rich protein source. It helps in building muscles and overall body development.
- It is rich in fiber content and helps in digestion.
- It is rich source of magnesium and folates, which boosts heart health.
- Apart from all the above it helps in reducing cholesterol levels in the body.
- Ghee is considered to stimulate the secretion of stomach acids which help in digestion
- Ghee is also said to memory retention power
- Ghee is rich in antioxidants which act as an aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals from the food we eat.