In Indian kitchen kadai is the name used for wock and recipes made in them adds its keyword along with the recipe. It is mildly spiced along with tomatoes and onions to give gravy. This recipe goes well with plain rice, chapati or butter naan.
Instead of making purely non-vegetarian, we can add capsicum and in this scenario, it tastes great if onions are semi-cooked.
Kadai Chicken Recipe, How to Make Kadai Chicken, Karahi Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Kadai Chicken: (1 cup=200 ml.)
- Skinless Chicken – 1 kg.
- Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1/2 tbsp.
- Coriander seeds - 1/2 tbsp.
- Oil - 5 tbsp.
- Onions - 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp.
- Green chilies - 5 no.
- Tomatoes - 1 large cup.
- Salt - 1/2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp.
- Red chili powder - 1 tbsp.
- Water - 250 ml.
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp.
- Clean and cut chicken into small pieces.
- Roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds and powder them, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom vessel (kadai) and add sliced onions, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and tomatoes.
- Saute for a while and sprinkle turmeric powder, cumin-jeera powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Add chicken pieces, little water and cook for 20 minutes with lid covered.
- Once chicken turns soft, we obtain thick gravy, remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
How to Make Kadai Chicken Recipe:
- Clean the chicken with water and cut into small pieces.
- Roast and pound coriander seeds and cumin seeds coarsely.
- On other hand add oil in a pan and add sliced onions, ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
- Once onions turn translucent, add chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, ground coriander jeera powder and red chilly powder.
- Cook for 2 minutes till tomatoes are cooked, add chicken pieces.
- Add water and cook for 10-15 minutes with lid covered.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Kadai chicken recipe is ready to serve. Serve hot with plain rice or butter naan.