Kalakand (Milk Burfi)
Kalakand or milk burfi is one of the traditional and famous Indian dessert recipes. It is simple to prepare at home. It is so soft that it simply melts in the mouth leaving its flavor and make one to have one more. Because it’s purely made from milk, it’s not just healthy but also more energy giving dessert.
Ingredients for kalakand:
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Almonds and pista for decoration
Silver foil (optional)
Citric acid (dissolved in 1/2 cup water) – ½ tsp
Method for the preparation of Kalakand:
- Boil 1 litre of milk in a vessel.
- When it comes to boiling stage, add citric acid solution (½ tsp. dissolved in ½ cup water)
- Remove from the heat. Wait till the chenna settles (yogurt like thing gets settle at the bottom of the vessel)
- Sieve and Squeeze excess water through muslin cloth (if not white cotton cloth).
- Keep the chenna aside in a separate plate.
Note: Do not knead the chenna.
- Put the remaining 1litre milk in a heavy sauce pan and boil till it comes half the quantity.
- Add the chenna and boil further still it thickens.
Note: Make sure bottom doesn’t stick. Stir continuously.
- Add the sugar to thicken the mixture. Stir until the mixture becomes thick soft lump
- Set in a tray. Kalakand is ready.
- Apply silver foil (optional) and sprinkle almonds and pista.
Nutritional facts of kalakand:
- Milk is the best source of calcium supply to our body.
- It is rich in calcium, which is an essential element for growth and proper development of strong bone structure
- It is an excellent source for dental health, as it protects the enamel surface against acidic substances
- It contains good quantity of water molecules and is considered to be the best fluid for rehydration.
- Apart from other good qualities milk has been proved to be good skin care product.
- Badam helps in reducing bad cholesterol and keeps the heart healthy
- It is also rich in calcium content and keeps the bones strong
- It’s good for brain, hair and skin
- Pista nuts are rich in mono-saturated fatty acids which help in reducing bad cholesterol.
- Pista nuts are excellent source of vitamin E and B complex group of vitamins.
- It also has micro nutrients like copper, potassium, iron, manganese, magnesium, selenium and zinc.