Kalakand or milk burfi is one of the traditional and famous Indian dessert recipes. It is simple to prepare at home. It is so soft that it simply melts in the mouth leaving its flavor and make one to have one more. Because it’s purely made from milk, it’s not just healthy but also more energy giving dessert.
Ingredients for kalakand:
Milk – 2 liters
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Almonds and pista for decoration
Silver foil (optional)
Citric acid (dissolved in 1/2 cup water) – ½ tsp
Method for the preparation of Kalakand:
- Boil 1 litre of milk in a vessel.
- When it comes to boiling stage, add citric acid solution (½ tsp. dissolved in ½ cup water)
- Remove from the heat. Wait till the chenna settles (yogurt like thing gets settle at the bottom of the vessel)
- Sieve and Squeeze excess water through muslin cloth (if not white cotton cloth).
- Keep the chenna aside in a separate plate.
Note: Do not knead the chenna.
- Put the remaining 1litre milk in a heavy sauce pan and boil till it comes half the quantity.
- Add the chenna and boil further still it thickens.
Note: Make sure bottom doesn’t stick. Stir continuously.
- Add the sugar to thicken the mixture. Stir until the mixture becomes thick soft lump
- Set in a tray. Kalakand is ready.
- Apply silver foil (optional) and sprinkle almonds and pista.