Khara Pongal – Ven Pongal Recipe | How to Make Khara Pongal
Ven pongal is usually prepared on all festivals and offered to gods. Usually Indian women seek fasting during festival occasions and have light food which is good in nutrition and easy to digest. That is why we find cow ghee added in this recipe.
In restaurants in order to save money they use dalda which is not good for health. In our recipe we have added cow ghee which helps in digestion and give soothing sensation to our stomach. We also added pepper which differentiate this recipe with sweet pongal by giving spicy sensation. This recipe goes well with sambar recipe or coconut chutney.
Moong dal – ½ cup
Rice – 1 cup
Green chillies – 6 no. (sliced)
Onion – 1 no.
Asafetida – a pinch
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
Dry chillies – 2 no.
Oil – 3 tbsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Dry coconut– ¼ cup.
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
Cashew – 25 gms.
Cow Ghee – 2 tbsp.
Pepper – ½ tbsp.
pepper powder – a pinch
Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
Water – 3 ½ cups.
Salt – As per your taste
Preparation of Khara Pongal:
- Clean rice for at least 3 times and dry for half an hour.
- Simultaneously clean moong dal and keep aside.
- Take one big sized microwave safe bowl and add rice, moong dal, green chillies, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 3 ½ cups of water and cook for half an hour.
Note: At the interval of 15 minutes pause microwave oven and stir bottom to top.
- Add pepper, cumin seeds, dry coconut, coriander leaves and little oil and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In another small bowl add ghee, mustard seeds, asafetida, cumin seeds, little pepper powder, rice powder, curry leaves, dry red chillies and cashew and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add this mix to Khara Pongal recipe and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.