Khichdi Microwave, Moong Dal Khichdi, Andhra Pesarapappu Khichdi
This is one of the healthy festival recipes we Indians prepare during Vinayaka Chavithi and Devi Navratri. This recipe is offered as Naivedyam (offering food to the deity) to Lord Ganesh and Goddess Durga.
Moong Dal is light on the stomach and easy to digest. That is why some ayurvedic doctors prescribe this food when you are ill. In South India, Andhra Pesarapappu Khichdi is very famous.
Usually, moong dal khichdi goes well with sambar, curd or raita and Gujarati khadi. I didn’t add any spicy substances like green chillies or red chilly powder. If you want to eat spicily I recommend adding black pepper powder.
Sprinkling lemon juice over this is a recipe and accompanied with any vegetable salad gives you the good experience. In order to fulfil nutritional values, you can even add tomatoes or vegetables.
Rice – 1 cup
Green gram – ½ cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp.
Cloves – 2 no.
Cinnamon – 1-inch stick
Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
Salt – As per taste
Water – 4 ½ cups.
How to Make Khichdi Microwave:
- Clean rice and green gram at a time for at least 2-3 times.
- Take microwave safe bowl and add 2 tbsp ghee, cloves, cinnamon stick, turmeric powder, rice, green gram, mix well.
Tip: When not cooked on microwave we usually cook dal, rice and other ingredients in pressure cooker, where as in microwave it may take some time. Also, we can reduce cooking time by soaking ingredients for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Put above dal and rice bowl in micro on medium temperature for a minute without a lid.
- Add 4 ½ cups water and salt.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and microwave for 18 minutes on high temperature.
- Cook Khichdi microwave for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: In order to enhance the flavour of Khichdi Recipe, add one table spoon of ghee and serve hot.