Lemon Rice is one of the simple recipes. You can have it as breakfast or for lunch. It is often prepared on special occasions and as-well as on festival days. During Vinayaka chavithi and pongal festivals we find this mouth tingling recipe.
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Lemon juice – 5 tsp.
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp.
Urad Daal – 2 tsp.
Chana Daal – 2 tsp.
Dried Red chillies – 3
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp.
Asafoetida – A pinch
Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Curry leaves – 11
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp.
Salt – As per your taste
Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp.
Lemon rice preparation:
- Wash the rice and add 4 cups of water, little salt and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
Tip 1: If you are cooking for small quantity then use measurement of 1:2 ratio (rice:water)
Tip 2: If you are cooking with old rice then soak it in water for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- You can also cook out side (electic cooker/microwave) just as you cook for daily use
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai (frying pan), add dried red chillies(break them into two), asafoetida, chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry them until the dals chage their color to light brown. Add mustard seeds and peanuts
- When you find mustard seeds crackling, add curry leaves. Fry for 10 seconds more.
Tip: Take care while putting curry leaves as oil or flalme may raise.
- Add turmeric powder and stir well. Add cooked rice, lemon juice and salt
Tip: While taking lemon juice, add little salt so that juice doesnt turn sour.
- Stir entire ingredients well. Garnish with grated coconut.
- Lemon rice is ready. Serve hot.