Pappu Pulusu, How to Make Pappu Pulusu, Andhra Pappu Charu Recipe
Usually in South India, when ever you take the word dal recipe, then everyone thinks about sambar recipe. But this version of Andhra Pappu Charu Recipe doesn’t need sambar powder. In this version, we add drumsticks, brinjal and onions. Some times I even make use of ladies finger in this recipe.
While making Andhra Pappu Charu Recipe one should remember that they should not add more vegetables or else you will get thick concentration. In Andhra people like to substitute yellow lentils with moong dal or sometimes mix together. As moong dal has cooling property many like to have it during the summer season.
Ingredients for Pappu Pulusu:
Kandi pappu (Toor dal/ yellow lentil ) – 100 gms.
Drumstick – 1pc.
Brinjal – 1pc.
Onion – 1 pc.
Green chilli – 3 no.
Tamarind – Big lemon size
Salt – as per taste
Mirchi powder – ½ tsp.
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp.
Garlic cloves – 5
Curry leaves – 1
Dry chilli – 1
Mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek, cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Oil – 2 tsp.
How to Make Pappu Pulusu Recipe:
- Take a vessel and boil dal by adding 1/4 litre water.
- When dal gets half boiled, add drumsticks, brinjal, onions and green chillies and boil further.
- On another hand, make the juice of tamarind.
- When dal gets fully cooked add tamarind juice, salt, mirchi powder and little coriander leaves and let it boil further 5 minutes more at low heat.
- If you want thick gravy type you can leave as it is or else you can liquify by adding water until you get your required consistence.
- Heat oil on a pan. Add garlic cloves(crushed), Fenugreek, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, mustard seeds, curry leaves.
- Later add dry chillies (break in small pieces).
- Add this mixture to the boiling pappu and off the heat.
- Garnish Pappu pulusu recipe with coriander leaves.