Pineapple Gojju, How to Make Pineapple Gojju, Karnataka Pineapple Curry
Pineapple Gojju is one of the famous pineapple recipes from Karnataka. It is treated as a special recipe especially in Brahmin caste and is made in all kinds of auspicious as well as special occasions like marriages.
It is a kind of spicy, sweet and tangling recipe which goes well with steamed rice or even with chapatis. As the name suggests its main ingredients are Pineapple, coconut grate and other spices. I have added tamarind paste for extra tangling flavor and a small piece of jaggery for a little sweetness.
When I had this recipe during marriage occasion, I have observed they were adding even vegetables to this Pineapple Gojju, I felt like sharing this info and make vegetables as optional. Even vegetable version tastes great. You can add brinjal, okra and bitter gourd.
Canned pineapple – 1 (crushed, small size)
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Chana dal – 1 tsp.
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Urad deal – 1 tsp.
Chickpeas – 1 tsp.
Red chilies – 3 no.
Green chilies – 2 no.
Turmeric powder – 1.4 tsp.
Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp.
Asafetida (hung) – 1/4 tsp.
Jaggery – small piece
Oil – 5 tsp.
Salt – as per your taste
How to Make Pineapple Gojju:
- Roast sesame seeds, chana dal, urad dal, red chilies and asafetida without oil.
Tip: fry for 5-6 minutes
- Grind above roasted ingredients with green chilies, coconut grate, jaggery, tamarind paste and chickpeas.
- Grind to the smooth paste, if needed add the little water.
- On other hand heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and turmeric powder.
- Once mustard seeds starts spluttering add pineapples and fry for about 15 minutes
- Add above paste and cook further for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt as per your taste. And remove from heat.
- Pineapple gojju goes well with chapatti, rice or can even be eaten hot or cold