Plain dosa is a simple breakfast recipe made with white gram dal and rice. Dosas recipe is one of the famous south Indian breakfast dishes. If you are looking for recipes for dosa which is crispy and tasty then you have visited right page.
Plain Rice – 1 cup
White gram dal – 1/4 cup
Par boiled rice – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Yogurt/ curd – 1/2 cup
Soda bicarbonate – 1/2 tsp.
Water to grind
Ghee/ oil to fry
Prepare Plain Dosa:
- Wash rice and black gram dal and soak for about 6-7 hours by adding fenugreek seeds
- Drain the soaked water and wash once more.
- Grind to paste, it tastes good if the batter gets smooth grain touch of rice (I mean not too smooth).
- Add salt and soda and mix well and put in a warm place.
- For better results it needs to ferment for about 8-10 hours.
- Beat/ churn yogurt/curd by adding little water and add this to the dosa batter.
- This mixture should not be hard, you can add little water if need and make a concentration which is enough to coat the pan well
Tip: For thick consistency add little by little water and check by dipping spoon. If it sticks well then that is our required concentration. If you feel it is more diluted then you can adjust by adding little rice powder but take care it is not much diluted.
- Now heat nonstick pan and pour one spoon batter and spread throughout the pan making sure it is coated as a thin layer using reverse of the spoon.
Tip: start coating the pan from center. It becomes easy if you take flat bottomed spoon.
Tip: start coating the pan only when it is heated, you can test by sprinkling some water.
- Sprinkle ghee or oil on the top so the layer comes up crispy.
- Remove Dosa and serve hot with coconut chutney or green chutney