Plain dosa is a simple breakfast recipe made with white gram dal and rice. It is one of the famous south Indian breakfast recipes. If you are looking for a recipe which is crispy and tasty then you have visited the right page.
Making Crispy Plain Dosa Recipe is easy, all you need to know is to maintain the perfect concentration of batter (by adding adequate water while diluting batter) and optimum heat to the pan and at last rotating spatula fast such a way you get paper type dosa recipe.
The size of the recipe depends on the pan you are using and the amount of batter you are putting on the pan. One needs to know how much batter we need to put on a pan if it’s a medium size pan, you need to put 1 spoon (depending on the size and depth of spatula).
Plain Dosa, Crispy Plain Dosa Recipe, How to Make Plain Dosa Recipe
Ingredients for Plain Dosa:
- Plain Rice - 1 cup
- White gram dal - 1/4 cup
- Parboiled rice - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Yogurt/ Curd - 1/2 cup
- Soda bicarbonate - 1/2 tsp.
- Water to grind
- Ghee/ oil to fry
How to Make Plain Dosa Recipe:
- Wash rice and black gram dal and soak for about 6-7 hours by adding fenugreek seeds
- Drain the soaked water and wash once more.
- Grind to paste, it tastes good if the batter gets smooth grain touch of rice (I mean not too smooth).
- Add salt and soda and mix well and put in a warm place.
- For better results, it needs to ferment for about 8-10 hours.
- Beat/ churn yogurt/curd by adding a little water and add this to the plain dosa batter.
- This mixture should not be hard, you can add a little water if need and make a concentration which is enough to coat the pan well.
Tip: For thick consistency add little by little water and check by dipping spoon. If batter sticks to spoon, that is our required concentration. Sometimes we may put little more water than required in that scenario we can adjust by adding little rice powder but take care it is not much diluted.
- Heat the nonstick pan and pour one spoon batter and spread throughout the pan making sure it is coated as a thin layer using the reverse of the spoon.
Tip: Start coating the pan from the center. It becomes easy if you take a flat bottomed spoon.
Tip: Start coating the pan only when it is heated, you can test by sprinkling some water.
- Sprinkle ghee or oil on the top so the layer comes up crispy.
Remove Plain Dosa Recipe and serve hot with coconut chutney or green chutney.