Poha recipe is a simple Indian breakfast recipe which can be prepared at no time. Children like to have it because of its yellowish colour. In this post, I have explained step by step Aloo Poha Recipe along with tips and notes.
This recipe can be made in different variations some like to use low ingredients and some like to add all ingredients. People who are suffering from a cough like to avoid coconut grate (as this may increase a cough). Even if coconut grate is removed, we can hardly find the difference. Potato pieces add flavour and ground nuts give you crispy effect.
Ingredients for Poha Recipe:
Beaten rice/ poha – 1 cup
Onions (chopped) – 2
Grated coconut (grated) – ¼ cup
Ground nuts (crushed) – ¼ cup
Curry leaves – 1 stalk
Green chillies – 6
Sugar – ¼ tsp.
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
Lime juice – 1 tsp.
Potato (chopped) – 1 small
Mustard – ½ tsp.
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp.
Oil – 1 ½ tsp.
Salt – As per your taste.
How to Make Poha Recipe:
- Clean beaten rice/poha and wash in water.
- Drain all the water and sprinkle little water and keep aside.
- After 10 minutes, gently loosen the rice wafers.
Note: There are two varieties of beaten rice, one is thin rice wafers type and other is thick. Thick is preferred.
Tip: If beaten rice is thick (native) you should lose it after 15 minutes.
- In a heavy sauce pan put some oil and add cumin, mustard seeds and potatoes.
- Stir for a while. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Add onions, curry leaves and green chillies. Stir further still the onions are tender.
- Add beaten rice/ poha and remaining ingredients.
Tip: Save some coriander leaves and grated coconut for garnishing.
- Add salt – as per your taste.
- To enrich the taste add lemon juice.
- Lower the heat and stir slowly so that it doesn’t stick to the base.
- Poha Recipe is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve hot.