Ridge Gourd Raita, Beerakaya Perugu Pachadi, Ridge Gourd Raita Recipe
Ridge gourd is rich in dietary fiber and nutrients like iron, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin-C also it is low in fat which is a good news for weight losers. Apart from all above it has a small quantity of peptides and alkaloids which in another word it’s insulin.
All alcohol lovers must try this recipe as the damage caused alcohol can be lowered as this recipe helps in intoxication of alcohol and other elements.
Ingredients for Ridge Gourd Raita:
Ridge Gourd – 1 (small)
Churned Yogurt/ thick buttermilk – 1 1/2 cups
Green chillies – 2 pc.
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Salt – As per your taste
Coriander leaves – 1/2 cups
Oil – required
Garlic cloves – 2
Seasoning/ Tempering Ingredients:
Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, black gram, red chilli, asafoetida, curry leaves – 2 tbsp. (all together)
How to Make Ridge Gourd Raita:
- Wash and peel ridge gourd. Cut into small pieces and keep aside.
Tip: Before slicing into pieces and continuing with preparation, cut a small slice and have a taste of it, sometimes ridge gourd may taste bitter and ruin whole recipe.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and start adding tempering ingredients.
- First fry mustard seeds, once they start sputtering add remaining ingredients one by one (garlic cloves, red chilly pieces, black gram, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.)
- Once the above ingredients are fried, add ridge gourd pieces and cover with the lid.
- Once rigid gourd is cooked and turns soft remove the lid and sprinkle turmeric powder and little salt
- Remove from the flame. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile make fresh and thick butter milk by churning with a buttermilk churner or blender.
- Add yogurt/ buttermilk to ridge gourd and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Ridge Gourd Raita or Beerakaya Perugu Pachadi goes well with jeera rice, biryani recipes and also with paratha.