Sambar Powder Recipe, How to Make Sambar Powder, Sambar Powder
Sambar is a staple food found in every restaurant and hotels in South India. No idli or vada is complete with Sambar recipe. Flavor of the recipe depends on the ratio of ingredients and quality of ingredients you use.
My grandma used to roast each ingredient separately and grind them on rock stone grinder. You may also like to check other recipes like how to make garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste and masala vada.
Dried Red chilies – 250 gms.
Fenugreek seeds – 50 gms
Coriander seeds – 500 gms.
Turmeric powder – 50 gms.
Toor dal – 100 gms.
Channa dal – 50 gms.
Mustard seeds -1 tbsp.
Raw rice – 1 tbsp.
Jeera – 25 gms.
Whole Pepper – 50 gms.
Asafetida – ½ tbsp.
Curry leaves – 100 gms.
Oil – 1tbsp.
How to Make Sambar Powder Recipe:
- Sundry all the ingredients so that moisture and bacteria are destroyed.
- Remember always use good quality ingredients to get best results
- Heat pan and roast toor dal and channa dal on low flame until they are crisp.
- Clean the pan with a neat cloth and add cumin, coriander and jeera and roast on low flame for a while.
- Add Fenugreek seeds and rice and again roast them.
- Add red chilies and sauté them and make sure they are not burnt as it changes the flavor of Sambar powder recipe.
- At last, clean the pan and add 1 tbsp. oil and roast curry leaves until they are dry.
- Just before removing curry leaves add asafetida and sauté for a while.
Tip: you can directly use sun dried curry leaves if they become crisp.
- Let all the ingredients cool and leave their respective moistures.
- Now it’s time to grind all the ingredients.
Tip: If your grinder is big enough to fit all the ingredients then it’s good or else divides the portion into two or three equal halves.
- Once everything is ground spread sambar powder recipe on a paper and let it cool.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container.