Sambar is considered as a traditional vegetable stew of south India made from yellow lentil, tamarind extract and vegetables. It goes well with white rice. Recipe of sambhar is very famous in udipi restaurants as it is served with idly, dosas and other breakfast items.
Yellow lentil/ tuvar dal – 3/4 cup
Vegetables – 3 cups (like onions, bottle gourd, drum sticks, carrots etc.)
Sambar powder – 2 tsp.
Green chillies – 3
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind – lemon size
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp.
Curry leaves – 1 tsp.
Sugar – ½ teaspoon (optional)
Salt – As per your taste (2 tsp.)
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp.
Popu/ Tempering for sambar recipe:
Oil – 1 tsp.
Black gram dhal – ½ tsp.
Hing powder – ¼ tsp.
Red chilli – 1 no.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Clean the dal and add 1 ½ cup water to pressure cooker and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Keep aside and let the dal cool, meanwhile soak tamarind by adding 1 cup of water for about 5 minutes.
- Extract juice from the soaked tamarind and keep aside.
- Mash the dal once it is cooled.
- Cut vegetables and add cook them in a separate vessel by adding 1 ½ cup water.
- Once you find vegetables are half cooked, add slit green chillies, tamarind extract, sugar and salt.
- Lower the flame and let it cook until you notice raw smell disappears/ vegetables are cooked.
- Add mashed dal, little sambar powder (to enhance flavour) and curry leaves.
Tip: If you like to make it more liquid add extra water and adjust salt or else you can thicken.
- Heat oil on a pan and add black gram dal, red chillies, and mustard seeds.
- Once you notice mustard seeds spluttering, add hing powder.
- Transfer to boiling sambar and put the lid over the top.
- Let it cook for a minute and serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves.
http://www.indianrecipeinfo.com/cooking/sambar/https://i2.wp.com/www.indianrecipeinfo.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Sambar.jpg?fit=1024%2C684https://i2.wp.com/www.indianrecipeinfo.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Sambar.jpg?resize=150%2C150Vegetarianrecipe for sambar,recipe for sambhar,recipe of sambhar,Sambar,sambar recipe,sambhar,sambhar receipe,sambhar recipe,vegetable stewSambar is considered as a traditional vegetable stew of south India made from yellow lentil, tamarind extract and vegetables. It goes well with white rice. Recipe of sambhar is very famous in udipi restaurants as it is served with idly, dosas and other breakfast items. Ingredients: Yellow lentil/ tuvar dal -...Rambabu UppadaRambabu Uppadaindianrecipeinfo@gmail.comAdministratorI am Rambabu Uppada, founder of Indian Recipe Info. I am fond of food, I thought of sharing my cooking experience with you all. I designed each recipe in such a way that you can simply follow my steps and prepare restaurant rich recipes at your home.Indian Recipe Info