Shahi Paneer is one of the famous North Indian recipes. Shahi refers to ‘royal ‘and paneer is ‘cottage cheese’. You will find this recipe in almost all restaurants and hotels. It is usually eaten with roti/chapati or Indian breads.
Paneer (cottage cheese) – 250 gms
Onion (chopped into strips) – 1
Ghee or butter – 3 tsp
Green chillies (finely chopped) – 2
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ inch piece
Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 4
Cardamoms (crushed) – 2
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tsp
Yogurt (beaten) – ¼ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Salt to taste
Grated paneer – 2 tsp
Chopped coriander – 1 tsp
Preparation of Shahi Paneer:
- Chop the cottage cheese into 2 inch size preferably in square shape.
- Heat half the ghee. Add onion, green chilli, ginger and cardamom.
- After 2-3 minutes, add tomatoes and cover the top. Let it fry for a while
- Later add the curd and turn the heat at low flame and let it cook further for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and blend the mixture till it turns smooth
- Add remaining ghee and other ingredients except paneer and milk to the gravy
- Boil to get very thick gravy.
- Just before serving, add cottage cheese pieces and milk and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and grated cottage cheese.