Sorakaya pappu/ bottle gourd dish is one of famous Andhra recipes made from Yellow lentil. It is one of the simple recipes for a housekeeper which can be done within minutes. In North India, it is called as Lauki Recipes which is low in calories and helps your stomach give cooling sensation when struggling with acidity.
Yellow lentil – 100 gms.
Bottle gourd – ¼ piece
Tamarind – little (lemon size)
Salt – 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garlic – 5 cloves
Curry leaves – 2 tsp.
Dry Red chilli – 1
Mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Oil – 2 tsp.
Asafoetida – A pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp.
Prepare Sorakaya Pappu:
- Take yellow lentil into a vessel and pour 250ml water and boil
- On other hand, peel the layer of bottle gourd and cut into one inch size pieces and keep aside.
- Take some tamarind and let it soak in little water for about 5 minutes.
- Once you see water boiling in dal and find its coming out, add cut bottle gourd pieces
- Once it is cooked, remove the juice of tamarind and pour into the boiling mixture.
Tempering/ tadka/ poppu:
Heat oil in a separate sauce pan and add green chillies, mustard seeds, crushed garlic cloves, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and asafoetida powder and fry for a while (don’t let they are dark, you may lose its essence)
- Once everything is fried put this mixture in the boiling dal and off the flame and put the lid.
- Sorakaya pappu is ready, serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves.