Sorakaya Pappu, How to Make Sorakaya Pappu Recipe, Lauki Chana Dal
Sorakaya Pappu Recipe or bottle gourd dish is one of famous Andhra recipes made from Yellow lentil. It is one of the simple recipes for a housekeeper which can be done within minutes. In North India, it is called as Lauki Chana Dal which is low in calories and helps your stomach give cooling sensation when struggling with acidity.
Ingredients for Sorakaya Pappu:
Yellow lentil – 100 gms.
Bottle gourd – ¼ piece
Tamarind – little (lemon size)
Salt – 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garlic – 5 cloves
Curry leaves – 2 tsp.
Dry Red chilli – 1
Mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp.
Oil – 2 tsp.
Asafoetida – A pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp.
How to Make Sorakaya Pappu Recipe:
- Take yellow lentil into a vessel and pour 250ml water and boil.
Tip: Usually cooking of dal depends on how old it is, based on its age, we can decide whether to cook on pressure cooker (until we get two whistles) or normally.
- On another hand, peel the layer of bottle gourd and cut into one-inch size pieces and keep aside.
- Take some tamarind and let it soak in little water for about 5 minutes.
- Once you see water boiling in dal and find it’s coming out, add cut bottle gourd pieces
Tip: If you are using the pressure cooker, remove from flame, add salt and mash Pappu.
- Once it is cooked, remove the juice of tamarind and pour into the boiling mixture.
Tempering/ tadka/ poppu of Sorakaya Pappu:
- Heat oil in a separate sauce pan and add green chillies, mustard seeds, crushed garlic cloves, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and asafoetida powder and fry for a while (don’t let they are dark, you may lose its essence)
Tip: If using the pressure cooker, you can add tomatoes (not mentioned), green chillies and sorakaya pieces.
- Once everything is fried put this mixture in the boiling Lauki Chana Dal and off the flame and put the lid.
- Sorakaya Pappu Recipe is ready, serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves.