One should agree that this is a time taking process but worth for effort. Every year we can find drop in price for tomato in a particular season. Almost we can get at dead cheap price of Rs. 2 or 3.
Tomatoes – 2 kgs.
Tamarind – 50 gms. (small ball size)
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Red chilly powder – 3- 4 tbsp. (As per your taste)
Garlic cloves – 10 no. (crushed)
Fenugreek powder – 1 tbsp.
Salt – As per your taste (3-5 tbsp.)
Asafetida – ½ tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Olive oil or Sesame seed oil – 100 gms.
Preparation of Sun Dried Tomato Pickle:
- This is a time taking process, first cut tomatoes into 6-8 slices and add turmeric powder, tamarind juice and salt.
Note: Adjust tamarind based on tomatoes variant.
- Put above mix in a container and cover with a lid. Soak them for whole day.
- Next morning, using a clean cloth or a polythene sheet, dry them for whole day.
- By the end of the day add these dried tomatoes in the same container with left over tomato and tamarind juice.
- Continue this drying process until they are totally dried.
- Once dried, coarsely blend them without adding water.
- Heat oil on a pan, add mustard seeds, crushed garlic and asafetida.
Tip: You can add asafetida powder when you are about to remove from flame, make sure that you don’t burn it.
- Once mustard seeds starts spluttering add grounded tomatoes and red chilly powder. Saute for a while.
- Once oil gets separated add fenugreek powder and mix well.
- When Sun Dried Tomato Pickle is cooled, store in a sterilized glass container.
Tip: You can even store in a refrigerator.