Sweet Vada, Bellam Garelu, Jaggery Vada, Sweet Medu Vada Recipe
I am not sure whether you are aware of this recipe or not? In Andhra people like to eat healthy food during the festive season of Sankranti.
In order to get puffy batter, I spent almost 15-20 minutes to beat the batter. If you can get puffy vada, it will have the capability to absorb jaggery syrup.
Making perfect jaggery syrup is also important, if you make a thick syrup then vada cannot absorb syrup. I have mentioned how to check it along with tips. You may also like to check
Whole black gram dal – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Oil – for deep fry
Salt to taste
Preparation of Sweet Vada or Bellam garelu:
- Soak black gram dal in water for 2 minutes
- Strain water and grind to paste by sprinkling water and salt
- Beat the paste to get puffy batter.
Tip: If you like to have puffy batter, you need to beat for a long time.
- Heat water and add jaggery, boil still you get concentrated syrup which is sticky
Tip: You need to check syrup concentration, to check if you take a single drop and check with your two fingers, you will get to know its stickiness. You need to get light stickiness.
- On another side, heat oil in a deep frying vessel.
- Wet your hand and make lemon sized balls.
- Flatten and make a hole like a vada.
Tip: If you are experienced in doing vadas on hands it’s well and good or else you can make use of greased polythene sheet or bananas leaf
- Slowly and drop the vada in oil and deep fry in bathes based on the size of your vessel
- Fry, still you obtain golden brown colour.
- Once you remove from oil immediately dip them in jaggery syrup still next batch of vadas are fried.
- Serve Sweet Vada or Bellam garelu hot while the crust is still crispy