I am not sure whether you are aware of this recipe or not? In Andhra, people like to eat healthy food during the festive season of Sankranti.
In order to get puffy batter, I spent almost 5-10 minutes to beat the batter. If you can get puffy vada, it will have the capability to absorb jaggery syrup.
Making perfect jaggery syrup is also important, if you make a thick syrup then Bellam Garelu cannot absorb syrup. I have mentioned how to check it along with tips.
Ingredients: (1 cup = 200 ml.)
Urad dal – 1 cup
Ginger – ¼ cup.
Green Chilies – ¼ cup. (optional)
Jaggery – 250 gms.
Salt – ½ tbsp.
Water – 1 glass (250 ml.)
How to Make Sweet Vada or Bellam Garelu:
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour and add to blender, also add ginger pieces.
Tip: Adding a piece of iron while soaking dal makes dal get soaked early.
Tip: If you are using the whole dal, clean and remove the skin by washing under water.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add water only after adding salt.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard.
- Add green chilies (optional) and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Whisk batter rapidly for a minute to make batter puffy and keep aside.
Making of Jaggery syrup:
- Drop jaggery in a vessel and put one glass of water in it and start boiling it.
- The thickness of syrup plays the major role, the thickness should not be diluted it should be moderate. It should be free flow with mild thickness.
- Once you attain its thickness keep aside.
Making of Sweet Vada:
- Heat oil and once it obtains optimum heat drop a small lump of batter if it floats then oil is ready to make vada.
- First, soak your hands in water, take the small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat, then make a small hole in the middle. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of medu vada maker or repeat above step by using polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all change their color to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place them directly into jaggery syrup.
- Keep them aside for a minute so that vada absorbs syrup.
- Sweet Vada or Bellam Garelu are done, serve hot or chilled.
Sweet Vada, Bellam Garelu, Jaggery Vada, Sweet Medu Vada Recipe Video: