Crispy Rice Flour Rings - Chegodilu
Chegodilu is one of the famous south Indian snack. They are crispy and golden colour. They speckled with white seasame or mong dal. Rice flour rings are one of the favorites of children and good for health.
Ingredients for Chegodilu:
Bengal Gram Dal – ¼ kg
Turmeric Powder – small pinch
Salt – 2 tsp (required)
Green Chilly (grinded) – 1 tsp
Butter – 1 cup
Tymol seeds – little (optional)
Oil – 1 liter
Water – required
Method of Chegodi:
- Add salt, Tymol seeds, butter and green chilly paste into the rice flour and mix well
- Add hot water to the above mixture and knead the dough until smooth
Note: Let the moisture remain in the dough or else the rings get cracks after deep fry
Tip: To maintain moisture in the dough, cover the dough with a wet cloth
Tip: We can also use red chilly powder but to maintain its color to golden brown, we use green chilly paste
- Mean while put one heavy bottomed vessel on the stove and let the oil get heated for deep fry
- Take another wet cloth and roll the dough into a thick rope with a diameter of around 1 centimeter on the wet cloth and attach the two edges so that it looks like a ring.
Tip: Test the dough for salt before making rings
- Put the rings into the oil and deep fry until it reaches golden brown.
- Remember the flame should be maintained on medium heat to obtain golden brown color and crispiness or else it will absorb more oil.
- Chegodilu are ready. Store in an air tight container.
Tip: before putting the whole rings into the oil, test the heat of the oil but putting one small ball of the dough, if it reaches the surface then the oil is ready to deep fry
- Rice is a good source of energy and is cholesterol free
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals; it contains good levels of vitamin D, calcium, niacin, iron and riboflavin.
- It is low in sodium and good for high blood pressure patients.
- Bengal gram has good amounts of dietary fiber and folic acid which helps in improving digestive disorders
- It also has nutrients like copper, iron, zinc which helps in improving blood sugar levels
- It also has vitamin A, vitamin C, Calcium and zero cholesterol.
- Butter is a rich source of Vitamin A and is present in a simple absorb form
- It is a good source of anti-oxidants
- Tymol seeds helps in improving digestion.
- They are rich in fiber, vitamins, and anti-oxidants.
- Tymol seeds have anti-bacterial and antifungal properties