Chicken biryani Recipe is one of the delicious non-vegetarian recipe from Indian cuisine. Learn how to make Chicken Biryani with our easy to make steps using special blend of spices. In this recipe we make use of Basmati rice and is cooked on a low flame. Normally we find this recipe during all kinds of speical occasions. In India Hyderabadi chicken biryani is very famous.
Chicken – 1 kg (preferably in big size and a couple of drumsticks)
Basmati rice – 1 kg
Onions – 1 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tsp
Chilli powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Cashew nuts – 100 gms
Bay leaves – 4-5
Cloves – 4-5
Cinnamon sticks – 2 sticks
Green chillies – 6-10 (ground to paste )
Cardamom pods – 3-4
Cumin – 1-2 tsp
Mint leaves – 2 cups
Coriander leaves – 1 cup
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Lemon – 1
Salt – 1 ½ tsp (according to taste)
Ghee – 1 cup (clarified butter)
Yogurt – ½ cup
Oil – 1 cup
Dried coconut powder – 2 tsp
Few strands of saffron
- Make deep incisions on the chicken flesh. Mix turmeric, chilli powder, salt, garlic paste, yogurt, and half-lemon’s juice. Apply this paste onto the chicken flesh and let it marinate for an hour.
- Heat about 100 ml of oil.
- Roast ½ spoon cumin, cinnamo, cloves, cardamom, 1 spoon coriander powder, bay leaves and finally add onions.
- Wait a for a couple of minutes to add mint leaves. When onions turn to golden brown, add chicken pieces and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add coconut powder and garam masala and turn off flame when it’s about ¾th cooked.
Note: Gravy should be little, pieces should look they are fried.
- While the chicken is still cooking, prepare the biryani rice preferably half cooked.
Note: Amount of water actually depends on kind of rice at hand and your experience helps to judge it.
- Also add 1-2 teaspoons of salt to it. Take few semi cooked grains of basmathi rice to colour it.
- Colour rice using diluted saffron and make use of them during garnishing.
- You will need a utensil of about 12″ base. Place about half of semi cooked rice in it.
- Next, layer half of chicken on it again topped by a layer of rice (half of the remaining).
- One more layer of remaining chicken, finally with layer of rest of the rice on top ends the rice-chicken layering stage.
Note: Layering should be alternative of rice and chicken
- Heat oil and deep fry half the sliced onions to golden brown. And also fry cashew.
- Garnish the top layer with coconut milk, fried onions, cashew, coriander and safron rice grains.
- Lid the vessel and airtight (but no pressure should build up). Put on high flame for 5-6 min before reducing it to low flame.
Note: The flame should NOT be at the vessel’s centre, but on one side of it.
- Keep rotating the vessel for every 2-3 min for about 20 min. Every time you turn it, carefully disturb the contents by a shake/jerk so as to avoid settling of ghee at the bottom.
- Put off the flame and wait for about 10 min before opening. Before serving, mix the medley from the bottom.
- Chicken Biryani is ready.
- Serve with boiled egg halves.
- High in proteins, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and low in fat and cholesterol, make chicken a major component of a healthy diet.
- It is packed with various vitamins, minerals and all nine essential amino acids.
- It provides you with 40 percent of the daily requirement of selenium.
- When it comes to its nutrition, iron and zinc content in dark meat is much more higher than that in white meat.
- It also contains significant amounts of phosphorous and potassium