Tamarind Pulihora, a traditional favorite among South Indians. It’s a tangy rice dish covered with spices, roasted peanuts and aromatic curry leaves. When the taste of pulihora touches your toungue with its addictive flavours, you crave for more.
Ingredients for Tamarind pulihora:
Rice – 1½ cups
Tamarind paste – 5 tsp
Green chillies – 8 -10 nos
Red chillies – 2 nos
Groundnuts – ½ cup
Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Bengal gram – 2 1/2 tbsp
Black gram- 2 1/2 tbsp
Asafoetida – 2-3 pinches
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – 6-8
Salt to taste
Oil – 1- 2 tbsp
Method for the preparation of tamarind pulihora:
- Cook rice and see to it that each grain is separate.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry red chillies, Bengal gram, black gram, mustard seeds, groundnuts and cashews.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies
- Now add tamarind paste and turmeric powder. Stir frequently till the oil floats on the top and the mixture reduces to a fairly thick consistency. Switch off the flame
- Add salt and add this mixture to the already cooked rice along with the sesame powder
- Tamarind pulihora is ready. Serve hot.
Tip: 1. Sesame powder is made by roasting sesame seeds and grinding it to a powder, adding salt and red powder.
Tip 2. If you add some extra oil to the mixture while boiling tamarind then it can be preserved for long period. When ever required just add the mixture to rice.