Tomato Pickle Recipe | Andhra Tomato Pachadi – Instant Tomato Pickle
Tomato Pickle Recipe – This mouth-watering pickle from Andhra is so tasty that it can be eaten with plain rice or chapattis. Although it is not a traditionally made pickle recipe it is simple and yummy.
There might be different ways of making this pickle but I used the instant method of preparing. In some places it’s done by the sun dried by adding salt to increase its shelf life, it’s a lengthy process.
If one wants to store this Andhra tomato pickle for a longer period of a year or more, I recommend trying sun dried process. In order to maintain pure vegetarian, I avoided ginger and garlic in this recipe, If you wish to add you can add them as per your taste and quantity of preparation.
In my other post, I have described how to make Sun Dried Tomato Pickle, it is a time taking process. If you wish to make instant tomato pickle then this is a perfect choice.
This recipe can be stored for a week or more based on the precautions you follow. In order to increase its shelf life, you can store in a glass container and store in a refrigerator.
Firm red tomatoes – 1 kg.
Sesame oil – 6 spoons
Tamarind – 2 golf ball sized lumps
Green chilies – 8-10
Fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp.
Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp.
Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp.
Asafetida – 1/2 tbsp.
Salt – as per your taste
Preparation of Tomato Pickle Recipe:
- In a thick bottom vessel heat 3 tsp. Sesame oil and add tomatoes.
- Cook until they become soft, mash roughly
- Soak tamarind balls in hot water to soften.
- Grind tamarind and green chilies, add this to above paste
- Heat 3 tsp. Sesame oil and add mustard seeds
- When they start spluttering add fenugreek seeds and saute for a second.
- Add asafoetida and remove from flame
- Pour this hot mixture into tomato tamarind paste
- Mix well, check and adjust seasonings
- Once cooled store Tomato Pickle Recipe in a glass container and refrigerate