Vegetable biryani is a colorful Indian rice recipe. You can smell the aromatic flavors of vegetables from distance. Mixed vegetable biryani recipe is one of the healthy recipes enriched with nutrients.
Ingredients for vegetable biryani:
Green peas 150 grams
Mixed vegetable (potato, cauliflower, french beans, carrot) – 1 cup
Thin sliced green chillies 2
Thinly sliced onion 3
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp.
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp.
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Yogurt (curd) 1/2 cup
Cinnamon, Caraway seeds 2 tsp.
Dry fruits (raisin, cashew nuts) 3 tbsp.
Vegetable oil 4 tbsp.
- Wash the rice and add 3/4 cups of water, salt, 2 tsp. dry fruits (optional, to enhance flavor) and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
Tip 1: If you are cooking for small quantity then use measurement of 1:2 ratios (rice: water)
Tip 2: If you are cooking with old rice then soak rice in water for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- You can also cook out side (electic cooker/microwave) just as you cook for daily rice
- Wash and cut vegetables into small pieces and fry each one separately in oil along with green peas.
- Fry cinnamon, green chilli, mustard seeds and caraway seeds powder, black pepper powder and cloves for about 30 – 40 seconds and then sliced onions .
- Fry the onions until it changes its coloor to golden brown.
- Add red chilly powder and salt, stir well.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and let it cook further.
- Add yogurt(fine blend), stir well, add remaining all vegetables
- Lastly add cooked rice with the above mix and stir with gentle hands so that rice grains doesn’t break
- Let it cook further for about 3 minutes.
- Vegetable biryani is ready. Serve hot dressing with dry fruits and coriander leaves.
Nutritional facts of Vegetable biryani:
- Potato is rich in potassium
- Potato contains about 17% starch and it is one of the best natural sources of starch
- Cauliflower is an excellent source of fibre
- Cauliflower contains properties, which can improve heart health and reduce the risk of strokes
- Carrot is a good source of antioxidant agents.
- Carrots are rich in vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and potassium.
- A carrot a day reduces stroke risk by 68 percent
- Eating tomatoes with a small amount of fat makes our body fight diseases.
- Tomatoes are low in saturated fats, cholesterol, and sodium.
- Tomatoes are a good source of riboflavin which has been proved to be helpful for migraine patients as it decreasing the frequency of headache
- Pepper reduces respiratory illnesses
- Pepper helps asthmatics breathe more easily