Many of us like to boil peas and make them with green peas, here I have taken white peas and soaked overnight to avoid pressure cooking. If you have not soaked them then you can pressure cook them for 5-6 whistles at low flame.
Aloo Batani Curry | Potato Peas Kurma | How to make Aloo Batanai Curry Recipe
Aloo Batani Curry or Potato Peas Kurma is one of the simple South Indian Recipes. Learn how to make Aloo Batani Curry with step by step image instructions.
- White peas – 1 cup
- Tomatoes – 1 small bowl 2-3 medium sized
- Potatoes – 5-6 medium sized
- Turmeric powder – ¾ tbsp.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Onions –½ bowl. finely sliced
- Garlic cloves – 10-15 no’s.
- Red chili powder- 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. as per your taste
- Coriander leaf – to garnish.
- Water – required to soak to clean and cook
Soak white peas overnight, on next day clean them with fresh water, keep aside.
Put peas into the bowl and add sliced tomatoes.
Add ¼ tbsp. turmeric powder, ½ tbsp. salt and 1 ½ glass water. Mix all.
Close the lid and cook peas for 15 minutes (till water is evaporated)
While peas are being cooked, cut potatoes into two halves and boil them.
Peel off the skin of potatoes and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
Once mustard seed starts splitting add onions.
Add garlic cloves and sauté onions till they turn golden brown.
Put boiled potatoes, ½ tbsp. turmeric powder, 1 tbsp. salt and mix well.
Add ½ glass water, sprinkle red chili powder and cook till you get a thick gravy.
Sprinkle garam masala powder and mix.
Serve Aloo Batani Curry hot garnished with coriander leaves.
How to make Aloo Batani Curry or Potato Peas Kurma:
- Add 1 cup white peas and add ½ liter water and soak overnight.
- Morning, remove soaked water and clean with fresh water, transfer to a fresh bowl.
- Slice tomatoes into large chunks and add them to peas.
- Add 1 ½ glass water, ¼ tbsp. turmeric powder and ½ tbsp. salt. Mix all together and cook by closing the vessel with a lid.
- Meanwhile slice potatoes into two halves, add required water and pressure cook on high flame till they turn soft (for 2 whistle blows).
- Drain hot water and pour cold water to easily remove the skin of potatoes, slice potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, check peas and cook till water is evaporated, remove from heat.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sliced onions.
- Saute for a while and make a room to fry garlic cloves.
- Add semi-cooked potatoes and mix well.
- Sprinkle ½ tbsp. turmeric powder and 1 tbsp. salt, mix well.
- Add cooked peas and add ½ glass water.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, cook further by the closing lid.
- Once you are about to get thick gravy, add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati or white rice.
Aloo Batani Curry Video: