Andhra Gongura Pachadi or Andhra Style Gongura Pickle is one of the famous recipes from Guntur region of Andhra Pradesh. It has a tangy flavor, enriched with vitamin C. It is tempered with aromatic ingredients.
Usually, it is served in two variants one is by boiling and making a paste of red sorrel leaves and another version of the same recipe is without the touch of water (This variant has a good shelf life). Our version is instant use yet tasty recipe. Gongura Chutney goes well with hot rice with a touch of little ghee. You may also like Gongura Pulusu Recipe.
Andhra Gongura Pachadi | Andhra Style Gongura Pickle
Andhra Gongura Pachadi or Andhra Style Gongura Pickle is one of the famous recipes from Guntur region of Andhra Pradesh.
- Gongura/ red sorrel leaves – 2-3 bunches
- Green chilies – 10-12 no.
- Curry leaves – 4 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera – 1 tbsp.
- Garlic cloves – 4-5 no.
- Ginger – 1 inch size
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies – 4 no. adjust as per your spiciness
- Bengal gram dal – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tbsp.
- Water – required to clean and boil.
- Pluck leaves, clean and keep aside.
- Boil water and put leaves and cook till they turn tender.
- After a minute, add green chilies and cook till soft.
- Once cooked, let it cool.
- Ground green chilies by adding 2 tbsp. salt.
- Add sorrel leaves and crush them to paste, ½ tbsp. cumin seeds, 2 tbsp. curry leaves, ginger and garlic.
- Ground all together and transfer to another bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and add red chilies, mustard seeds, Bengal gram dal, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Saute for a while.
- Once mustard seeds start spluttering add curry leaves and gongura chutney.
- Mix all ingredients and store in a container once cooled.
How to Make Gongura Pachadi Recipe:
- Pluck leaves from the branches and cleans them in water so that foreign particles can be cleaned.
- Put leaves in a skillet and remove additional water.
- Pour adequate water in a vessel and put leaves in it and boil till they turn tender.
- Add green chilies and cook further till all of them turn soft.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Take cooked green chilies from cooked sorrel leaves and add 2 tbsp. salt ground them coarsely.
- Add boiled gongura leaves and crush them.
- Pull crushed leaves aside and put 2 tbsp. curry leaves, ½ tbsp. cumin seeds, garlic cloves and ginger.
- Once they are crushed pull back gongura paste and crush once again for a second.
- In a pan heat oil and add dry red chiles, sauté for a while.
- Add Bengal gram dal, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and remaining cumin seeds.
- Add curry leaves and once everything is done add gongura chutney and mix everything.
Tip: In this process, we have boiled leaves and crushed to make gongura pachadi, so this recipe’s shelf life is low.
Tip: We have added green chilies while cooking leaves also dry red chilies to adjust the quantity as per your spiciness.
Andhra Gongura Pachadi or Andhra Style Gongura Pickle Video: