Badshahi Baingan Recipe is one of the typical Indian curries made with fried brinjals and special Indian spices. It is usually served as the main course, its gravy and texture make it perfect to have with either rice or parathas.
Although many people don’t like the taste of brinjal, it is considered as the king of vegetables. I tried to make this recipe more enjoyable with special herbs. I sometimes eat this recipe after 6 hours of preparation by storing it in the refrigerator so that spices get absorbed by eggplant.
Badshahi Baingan Recipe, How to Make Badshahi Baingan, Brinjal Curry
Ingredients for Badshahi Baingan Recipe:
- Brinjals – 300 gms.
- Onions – 2 no. Large size and chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 no. Large size and chopped
- Yogurt/ Curd – 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
- Chilli powder – 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp. Chopped
- Cumin powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Ghee – ¼ cup.
- Salt – As per taste.
For the garnish:
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp.
- Raisins – 1 tbsp.
How to Make Badshahi Baingan Recipe:
- Cut brinjals into one inch thick slices.
- Sprinkle salt, after 10 minutes wash and dry.
- On other hand prepare for garnishing. Heat ghee and fry sliced onions, cashew nuts and raisins until golden brown.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Fry brinjals in leftover ghee until tender cooked.
- Add onions, once it turns transparent brown add ginger garlic paste and remaining dry spices.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until ghee oozes out.
- Now add yogurt/ curd, salt and coriander leaves.
- Cook till the gravy thickens by stirring so that the gravy doesn’t get stick to the bottom and burn.
- Add tenderly cooked brinjals to the gravy and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Sprinkle with garnish ingredients on top.
- Badshahi Baingan tastes good when served hot with rice or parathas.