Beerakaya Pachadi Recipe is a green and high in fiber recipe, which can be consumed directly with hot rice or with breakfast recipes. Many of us throw away the skin of rigid gourd but it can be turned out as a delicious recipe.
In South India, especially Andhra our elders thought us how to utilize nutritional food, so whenever we make beerakaya curry, we make use of its skin in making delicious chutney. Ridge Gourd Chutney not only tastes great with plain rice but also taste good with dosa recipe.
Beerakaya Pachadi, How to Make Beerakaya Pachadi, Ridge Gourd Chutney
Ingredients for Beerakaya Pachadi:
- Beerakaya/ Ridge Gourd peel - 2 cups
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Coriander powder - a pinch
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder - A pinch
- Tamarind - lemon sized
- Salt - As per your taste
- Curry leaves - 2 tbsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds and mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp.
How to Make Beerakaya Pachadi Recipe:
- Before peeling rigid gourd clean skin with clean water.
- In a bowl, add two cups of water and boil beerakaya peel by adding a little salt.
- Drain water and keep aside.
Tip: Adding salt and boiling skin will reduce its coarse flavor.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add garlic cloves(slightly mashed), cumin seeds and mustard seeds, saute for a while.
- Add boiled beerakaya peel and fry for a while.
- Take tamarind in a bowl of water and squeeze its pulp.
- Add this to above peel and boil for a while.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt, cook for a while.
Tip: Don't try to overcook the peel, it may degrade perfect taste.
- Once cooled, transfer all ingredients to the blender and make a smooth paste.
Tip: Although I have not mentioned tempering/ seasoning, you can add tempering ingredients (curry leaves, mustard seeds and red chilies (adjust as per your taste as you have already mentioned above) and a pinch of asafetida to Ridge Gourd Chutney. Add all ingredients in a pan and saute for a while with the help of 2-3 tbsp. oil.
- Beerakaya Pachadi Recipe tastes great with hot rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.