In another variation, people also add potatoes to this recipe. Apart from this all the hype, this recipe can be done with basic ingredients which are mostly available in every kitchen. This version of the recipe uses dark eggplant vegetables so one must take care of insects.
You may also like:
Brinjal Peas Curry | Vankaya Batani Kura | How to Make Brinjal Peas Curry
Combination of Brinjal and peas is a delicious Indian Recipe. We find this combination in all kinds of parties and special occasions.
Measurement: 1 cup = 200 ml.
- Brinjal – 250 gms. Clean and cut into small pieces
- Dry green / white peas – 100 gms.
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Onions – 1 cup finely sliced
- Tomatoes – 1 cup sliced into small pieces
- Green chilies – 7 no. slit into two halfs
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – ½ tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp. as per your taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp. to garnish
- Soak peas for 2-3 hours and then pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and mustard seeds.
Once mustard seeds start spluttering add finely sliced onions and green chilies.
- After a few seconds, add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a while till its raw flavor is cooked.
- Add curry leaves and brinjals pieces.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder, mix well.
- After a minute, add tomatoes and cook further by closing the lid, till tomatoes turn tender.
- Add peas and cook at medium heat.
Sprinkle red chili powder and add 1 glass water or remaining water obtained after boiling peas.
- Close the lid and cook till you get a thick gravy.
- Add garam masala powder, mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- After slicing, brinjals put them into the salt water so that its color doesn’t become black.
- While boiling peas in a pressure cooker, for first whistle blow cook at high temperature and then after at low temperature.
How to Make Brinjal Peas Curry:
- Soak dry green/ white peas for at least 2-3 hours and pressure cook them for 10 minutes.
Tip: Don’t throw away the boiled water as it carries nutrients of peas.
- In a pan add oil, once it is heated add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Chop onions into small pieces and slit green chilies diagonally and add them.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a while till its rawness goes way, add curry leaves.
- Clean and cut brinjals into small pieces, add them.
Tip: While cutting brinjals, put them in a salt water so that they don’t turn their color. Also, check for insects.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix all ingredients and close the pan with the lid and cook for a minute.
- Slice tomatoes into small pieces and add to the above mix.
- Again close the lid and cook till tomatoes turn tender.
- Add boiled peas and mix well.
- Adjust heat to medium temperature and add 1 tbsp. red chili powder and boiled pea stock (1 glass).
- Close the lid and cook further 2 minutes.
- Once you get thick gravy add coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Garnish Brinjal Peas Curry or Vankaya Batani Kura with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.
Brinjal Peas Curry or Vankaya Batani Kura Video: