Brown Gravy Indian style is one of the homemade ready made curry recipes which can be used to make a variety of other recipes. It can be refrigerated and stored for future use which makes your job of making a new recipe very simple.
Brown Gravy Indian, Basic Indian Curry Gravy, How to Make Brown Gravy
- Tomatoes - 1 no. finely chopped
- Capsicum - 1 no. finely chopped
- Onion - 1 no. finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tbsp. grated
- Garlic - 1 tbsp. grated
- Wheat flour - 1tbsp.
- Tamarind juice - 2 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp. Finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tbsp.
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp.
- Asafetida - 2 pinch
- Cardamon - 2 no.
- Cloves - 2 no.
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Whole dry red chilly - 2 no.
- Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Salt - as per your taste
- Cinnamon stick - 1-inch size
Preparation of Brown Gravy Indian style:
- Roast wheat flour by stirring constantly till you obtain pink color
- Heat oil and fry till golden color
- Drain and squeeze excess oil in onions and cool.
- Put back oil in a pan and grind onions, keep aside
- Add cumin seeds in oil and let them splutter.
- Add capsicum, ginger, garlic and asafetida and saute for a minute
- Meanwhile roast and grind cardamoms, cloves, dry red chilly, cinnamon stick and bay leaf
- Add this ground masala and wheat flour to the above mix, stir well
- Add tomatoes, tamarind water and salt.
- Stir occasionally and cook on low heat till you obtain thick gravy and oil oozes out.
- This brown gravy can be used with any vegetables, all you need to do is to add your veggies and cook further for 2-5 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- It goes well with paratha, roti etc.
Veggies which can be added to brown gravy Indian style recipe are:
- Chunky veggies like boiled peas, boiled baby potatoes