Buttermilk Murukku Recipe or Majjiga Jantikalu or Pulla Jantikalu Recipe is one of the spicy and crunchy Diwali snacks. South Indians make this recipe during the Sankranthi festival. Indians have a tradition of making sweet as well as spicy snacks during festival season.
Once Buttermilk Murukku Recipe is cooled, one can experience crispiness, also we need to take care that they are cooked on medium flame or else there is a tendency of getting color from outside but doesn’t cook from inside. We can store this recipe for days when stored in an airtight container. Nowadays all the sweet shops in India are packing and selling this snacks.
Everyone has their way of making Majjiga Jantikalu, some add buttermilk and some don’t. By adding buttermilk, we get the sour flavor to this recipe which has its own unique flavor. You may also like Murukku Recipe.
Buttermilk Murukku Recipe | Majjiga Jantikalu Recipe | Pulla Jantikalu recipe
Buttermilk Murukku Recipe is one of the crunchy and delicious recipes. The outcome of our recipe is soft and hallow from inside.
Measurement: (1 cup = 200 ml.)
- Rice flour – 3 cups
- Nuvvulu/ Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Vaamu/ Tymol – ¼ tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tbsp.
- Red chili powder – ½ tbsp.
- Butter – 50 gms. unsalted
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Murukku press
- Oil – to deep fry
- Water – to mix the dough.
- Sieve rice flour and put it in a vessel, add sesame seeds to it.
- Add crushed thymol seeds, red chili powder, salt, butter piece and buttermilk.
- Mix all ingredients, add little water and make a soft dough.
- Take a small lump of dough and put it in murukku press.
- Grease little oil to a steel plate and press Jantikalu on it.
- On another hand, heat oil in a kadai to deep fry above murukku.
- Drop one by one jantikalu and deep fry till they attain golden brown color.
- Maintain optimum heat while deep frying Majjiga Jantikalu Recipe, you can check the heat of the oil by putting a small ball of dough.
- Greasing oil to steel plate or plastic paper will help you drop Murukku freely into the oil.
- Once cooled, store in an air tight container.
How to Make Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu:
- First, sieve flour and remove foreign particles (if any present).
- Add 3 cups of rice flour and add nuvvulu/ sesame seeds.
- Crush thymol seeds on hands and add it to flour.
- Add salt, red chili powder, butter and buttermilk.
- Mix all ingredients and make the soft and hard dough by adding required amount of water.
- Make small lump of dough and put it in Buttermilk Murukku press.
- Take a steel plate and apply oil to it and press Majjika Jantikalu on it.
Tip: Greasing plates makes jantikalu slide into oil pan easily.
Note: Make 2-4 murukku shapes on the plate so that while frying it becomes easy to drop into oil.
- Heat oil in a kadai and once it’s hot, gently drop murukku and deep fry them on low heat.
- Fry them until they turn golden brown color.
- Serve them when they are cooled.
Note: Store Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu once they are cooled in an airtight container.
Buttermilk Murukku or Majjiga Jantikalu Video: