Cabbage vada is one of the south Indian deep fried snacks which are made from ground lentils and finely chopped cabbage. You will never know that this recipe is made of cabbage, it tastes like onion.
This recipe can be made only with one ingredient i.e Urad dal or else you can also make it mixed ingredients. We usually mix to increase its nutritional values as well as to attain spongy texture.
Learn how to make Cabbage Vada in the vegan style where you don’t find any onions or garlic in it. If you like soft and spongy vada then you need to soak dal overnight at an optimal temperature.
You might also like to check Ulundu Vadai which is quite similar to this recipe and Andhra special Bellam Garelu which is sweet version. If you want to try similar veggie mixed vada then beerakaya vada or sweet corn vada may suit your taste.
Cabbage Vada, How to Make Cabbage Vada, Andhra Cabbage Vada Recipe
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Cabbage – 1 bowl chopped finely
- Ginger – ¼ cup.
- Green chilies – ¼ cup.
- Water – To soak dal
- Salt – 1 tbsp. as per your taste
- Oil – to deep fry.
- Oil – for deep fry.
- Soak moong dal and urad dal for an hour.
- Grind both dals by adding ginger pieces, green chillies and a little salt.
Tip: Take 2 tbsp. moong dal aside once they become coarse.
Note: Make sure that ground paste is hard, if not you will end up my making oily vada.
Tip: Sometimes grinder may get jammed if you do not put water, so add little water accordingly by keeping batter hard.
- Chop cabbage finely like onion and add to batter, also add curry leaves and 2 tbsp. coarsely ground moong dal.
Tip: In order to make spongy, whip batter with hand or add little soda. (adding soda may absorb oil)
- Heat oil in a kadai, once oil reaches optimum heat, place vadas in oil gently.
- Deep fry them till they turn golden brown on low flame.
- Serve Cabbage Vada Recipe with green chutney.
How to Make Cabbage Vada Recipe:
- Soak urad dal and moong dal separately for 1 hour.
- Add urad dal to wet grinder, after few seconds of grind, add ginger pieces.
Tip: If you want to soak dal early then add a piece of iron while soaking.
Note: Salt makes batter become lose so add little water while grinding.
Note: Using little water keeps batter thick and hard which helps in absorbing less oil while deep fry.
- Add green chilies and salt. Grind till you get medium coarse texture, remove from the grinder and keep aside.
- Similarly grind moong dal separately.
- Whisk batter rapidly for a minute to get spongy vadas.
- Finely chop cabbage as shown in the image, add it to the batter.
- Add 2 spoons of ground moong dal and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a large kadai, drop a small lump of batter to check oil heat if it floats then oil is ready to make vada.
- Wet your hands with water, take a small lump of batter in your hand and make it like a ball, and then make it flat. Gently release vada in oil and do this process for all vadas.
Tip: If you are not convenient in doing vada in hands you can make use of polythene sheet.
- Once you find vada turning its color, flip to other side and once all change their color to golden brown
- Make remaining vadas with equal proportion and place them on a tissue so that it absorbs excess oil.
- Serve Andhra cabbage Vada Recipe with coconut chutney or green chutney.
Cabbage Vada Recipe Video: