Chapathi can be made in different forms one is simply making the dough and roasting on a pan and other by making layer form, this form will give you three or four layers. They are soft and can be torn with three fingers. Adding yogurt is optional, if you add it then they must be served immediately.
During my childhood days, my mom used to serve leftover chapati as breakfast – Served by soaking roti in hot milk.
Chapati Recipe, Roti Recipe, How to Make Soft Three Layer Chapati
Chapati recipe or roti recipe is one of the staple recipes from North India. If you are diet conscious, it is recommended to have chapati every day.
Measurement used – 1 cup = 200 ml:
- Whole wheat flour/ atta – 2 cup
- Yogurt/ Curd – 1 tbsp. Semi-solid curd which is not too sour
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – ¼ tbsp.
- Water – required for making a smooth dough
- How to Make Chapati Recipe:
- Sieve wheat flour, transfer to a vessel and add salt, oil and yogurt.
- First mix well with bare hand and then add little by little water so that dough doesnt become lose.
- Knead dough well so that water is absorbed well and dough becomes soft.
Note: Make sure that dough doesn't become sticky, if it becomes sticky then add little wheat flour and adjust accordingly.
- Put this dough aside for 15-30 minutes with lid covered.
- Divide into small balls and dust the roti maker with flour.
- Pat gently and roll small size puri and grease with oil on one side.
- Fold roti into thee layers (triangle shape) and roll chapati again.
- Heat chapati on a pan and gently press it so that chapati raises like a puri, cook on both sides.
- Serve Chapati hot by apply ghee over it to lock moisture.
How to Make Chapati Recipe:
- Sieve wheat flour as it can eliminate insects or other foreign stuff if present in flour.
- Add salt, yogurt and oil.
- Mix well until oil and curd are spread and absorbed by atta.
- Sprinkle water over dough and knead so that it becomes soft and non-sticky.
- If you have time you can knead for 3-5 minutes on a hard surface so that oil, water and curd get absorbed by the flour.
Tip: Finally dough should be non-sticky, if you feel it’s still sticky then you can sprinkle some flour and bring to soft and non-sticky.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Tip: If you are the busy employee then you can refrigerate and make use of this dough whenever you need.
- Make equal sized small balls and keep aside.
- Cover these balls until you make use of them so as to maintain moisture (during summer season).
- On a roti maker dust it with flour and put this ball and pat it slightly.
- Roll the ball with the roller and make puri sized chapati by dusting with flour if necessary.
- Apply oil over it and molding it to a triangular shape.
- Again roll the dough into circular shape.
Note: Applying oil over roti and molding it to triangular shape gives you three layer roti.
- Heat tawa to optimum heat and put roti on it so that It will not stick to tawa.
- First, cook one side and when you see bubble then shift to another side.
- Apply some oil/ ghee over chapati so that it bubbles like puri.
Tip: Applying ghee will keep chapati recipe moist and soft which can be torn with three fingers.
- Serve hot with aloo curry or white peas chat.