Normally we find this recipe for all kinds of special occasions among which Hyderabadi chicken biryani is very famous as they cook this recipe by adding a special blend of spices.
Chicken Biryani Recipe, How to Make Chicken Biryani Masala Powder
- Chicken - 1 kg. preferably in big size and a couple of drumsticks
- Basmati rice - 1 kg.
- Onions - 1 cup finely chopped
- Ginger and garlic paste - 2 tbsp.
- Chilli powder - 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts - 100 gms
- Bay leaves - 4-5 nos.
- Cloves – 6-8 nos.
- Cinnamon sticks – 2-4 sticks
- biryani flower - 1-2 nos.
- Green chillies – 6-10 nos.
- Cardamom pods – 6-8 nos.
- Cumin – 1-2 tsp
- Mint leaves - 2 cups
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup
- Coriander powder - 1 ½ tbsp.
- Garam masala powder - ½ tbsp.
- Coconut milk - 1 cup optional
- Lemon - 1 no.
- Salt - 2 tsp according to taste
- Ghee - 1 cup clarified butter
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Oil - 1 cup
- Dried coconut powder - 2 tbsp.
- Few strands of saffron optional
How to Make Chicken Biryani Recipe:
How to Make Chicken Biryani Masala Powder:
- Roast cardamom pods, cloves, biryani flower and let them cool.
- Add above roasted spices in a blender and add bay leaves to it and make a coarse powder.
- Make incision over the chicken and add spice powder to it.
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder, green chillies, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, coconut grate, yogurt, coriander leaves, mint leaves and salt.
- Mix all ingredients and marinate for an hour.
- Soak rice and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Boil water and add oil, biryani flower, cumn seeds, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and soaked rice.
- Cook rice till they turn tender and drain excess water.
- While rice is being cooked, fry cashew nuts and onion slices till they turn a golden brown color.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, heat oil and add bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, cloves, biryani flower, cardamom and marinated chicken.
- Cook for 15 minutes, once chicken turns tender add layers of cooked rice and fried onions.
- Add a spoon of ghee and close the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Tip: Closing lid will lock aroma and rice absorbs the flavor of the chicken.
- Serve Chicken Biryani Recipe hot garnished with sliced boiled eggs.
- High in proteins, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and low in fat and cholesterol, make chicken a major component of a healthy diet.
- It is packed with various vitamins, minerals, and all nine essential amino acids.
- It provides you with 40 percent of the daily requirement of selenium.
- When it comes to its nutrition, iron and zinc content in dark meat is much higher than that in white meat.
- It also contains significant amounts of phosphorous and potassium.
How to Make Chicken Biryani Recipe:
- First of all, let us make biryani masala powder.
- Add Cardamom pods, biryani flower, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cloves to make a coarse powder.
- Make deep incisions on the chicken flesh.
- Mix ground masala powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coconut grate and lemon juice.
- Add ginger garlic paste, mint leaves, coriander leaves and yogurt or curd.
- Add sliced green chillies (we can also make a paste of above leaves along with chillies and add).
- Mix all ingredients so that these blend of spices are being absorbed by chicken. Let it marinate for an hour.
- Meanwhile, let us prepare rice. Soak rice for half an hour.
- Add 1 one large spoon oil in hot water and add cloves, cardamom, biryani flower, bay leaf, cumin seeds.
- While water is boiling add soaked rice and cook until tender.
- In order to check whether rice is cooked optimum or not take few rice grains and break, they break easily.
- Once rice is done, drain excess water using distill.
- Meanwhile, fry onion slices and cashews to golden brown colour.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, add oil, and add cardamom, cloves, biryani flower, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.
- Once they are cooked add onions and roast them tender and add marinated chicken.
- Let chicken be cooked for 15 minutes and then add layers of rice and fried onions. Add ghee over rice.
- Garnish with roasted fried onions and cashewnuts. Cook further for 10 minutes by putting a lid and adding weight on the lid so that aroma is locked inside.
- Chicken Biryani Recipe is ready. Serve with boiled egg halves.