Dondakaya fry or Tindora fry is one of the delicious recipes served along with chapatti in North India and with sambar rice in South India. Our version of the recipe is made in South Indian style which has fewer ingredients and can be made in less time.
Ivy gourd is called with many names, in Telugu, it’s called as Dondakaya, Kovakai in Tamil, Kovakkai in Malayalam and tindora in Gujarati and tendil in Marathi etc., whatever the language we call this green vegetable it tastes great.
There is a widely spread fact that eating this veggie will reduce mathematical skills, but whatever the misconception we have we need to respect nature and eat all healthy vegetables as it is loaded with iron, vitamin B1 & B2 along with dietary fiber and calcium.
By the name, Dondakaya fry people may think this is a deep fry recipe, no its stir-fry recipe. We can make deep fry recipe with besan powder by adding ground nuts but that has a different flavor. Even we can add ground nuts and coconut grate but that makes this recipe clumsy. You may also like to check Dondakaya Masala Recipe.
Dondakaya Fry | Tindora Fry | Ivy Gourd Fry
Dondakaya fry or Tindora fry is one of the delicious recipes served along with chapatti in North India and with sambar rice in South India.
- Dondakaya/ Tindora – ½ kg.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tbsp.
- Onions – 1 cup finely sliced
- Garlic cloves – 15 no. crushed
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – ¼ tbsp.
Slice dondakaya/ tindora lengthwise.
Heat oil in a pan, once its hot add cumin seeds and mustard seed.
Once they start giving crackling sound add onions and fry they turn translucent.
Add garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
Add dondakaya, sprinkle turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
As this is a fry recipe, do not cover any lid while cooking - cook for 10 minutes until they cook and leave crispy.
Sprinkle red chili powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and serve hot.
While cleaning, remove the ends of dondakaya.
How to make Dondakaya Fry or Tindora Fry Recipe:
- Clean and slice tindora into four thin slices (lengthwise).
Tip: Remove the ends of this veggie.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and onions.
- Add garlic and stir fry till onions turn golden brown color.
- Add sliced dondakaya to onion mix.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt (as per your taste) and mix well.
- Let it cook for five to ten minutes without lid covered.
- Once you find dondakaya is cooked, sprinkle red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Cook further for few seconds and serve hot.
- Dondakaya Fry or Tindora Fry goes well with plain rice or with chapatti.
Dondakaya Fry Video: