Dry Anchovies Curry or endu nethalla kura is one of the famous South Indian Special curries. They are small in size and can be stored for years once they are sun-dried. Dry anchovies tend to smell and have mud or sand on their skin. To remove its smell and other particles they are usually cleaned by removing their head and washed under plenty of water by rubbing on the rough ground (stone).
This recipe is simple and endu nethalla kura can be done with simple ingredients like onions and tomatoes. If you like to spice up then you can add coriander powder and garam masala powder. You may also like Dry Anchovies Fry.
Dry Anchovies curry | Endu Nethalla kura | How to Make Dry Anchovies Curry
- Dry Anchovies/ netallu/ nettanalu – 250 gms.
- Onions – 1 cup sliced finely
- Tomatoes – 1 cup. sliced
- Green chilies – 4-5 no’s. slit diagonally
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 6 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder – ½ tbsp.
- Coriander powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Mint leaves – 1 tbsp.
- Whole onion and whole green chilly each to garnish.
- Clean dry anchovies by rubbing on a rough surface.
- Disinfect it by adding turmeric powder and little salt by cleaning.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cleaned anchovies.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, garam masla powder and red chili powder.
- Fry till they turn crisp, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions and green chilies.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a while till its raw flavor is cooked.
- Drop tomatoes and cook for a while.
- Add ½ tbsp. turmeric powder, ½ tbsp. salt, red chili powder and little water.
- Bring it to boiling point and add anchovies.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 2 minutes
- Add ¼ tbsp. coriander powder, ¼ tbsp. garam masala powder and mix well.
- At the end Add 1 tbsp. mint leaves and remove from heat.
- Garnish Dry Anchovies Curry with the whole onion and serve hot.
How to Make Dry Anchovies Curry:
- Usually dry fish has mud so it has to be cleaned properly, so wash with plenty of water.
Tip: Usually dry anchovies are stored by removing the head and internal parts although they are small.
- Add 3 tbsp. oil in a pan and add cleaned dry fish until moisture of fish is removed.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, red chilly powder and garam masala powder.
- Stir-fry for a minute and keep aside.
- Add 3 tbsp. oil, sliced onions, green chilies diagonally sliced and ginger garlic paste.
- Once onions turn translucent add tomatoes and sauté for a while.
- Add ½ tbsp. turmeric powder, ½ tbsp. salt, little water, and ½ tbsp. red chilly powder.
Tip: You can add water before adding red chilly powder or later. We have added red chilly powder later to lock its flavor.
- Add Anchovies fry to this boiling mixture.
- Place lid and cook for 2 minutes so that fish absorb blend of spices and gravy.
- Add ¼ tbsp. coriander powder.
- At the end of the recipe, sprinkle ¼ tbsp. garam masala powder.
- Add 1 tbsp. mint leaves and sauté for a while.
- Garnish Dry Anchovies Curry or endu nethalla kura with the whole onion and whole green chilly.
- Serve hot.
How to Make Dry Anchovies Curry or endu nethalla kura: