Fish Pulusu Recipe or Andhra Chepala Pulusu is made in South Indian village style. In villages this recipe is made in clay pots, its main ingredient is tamarind pulp. In order not to disturb is essence I have used only coriander powder rather than any masala powders.
As tamarind is our main ingredient, this recipe tastes great as fish pieces marinate. We can consume this recipe even after 24 hours at room temperature.
Also, it is recommended to consume Andhra Chepala Pulusu after 2-3 hours of preparation.
Fish – 1 kg.
Oil – 3 tbsp.
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tbsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
Onions – 4 no. (sliced into small pieces)
Green chilies – 7 no. (slit diagonally)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 3 tbsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Salt – 2 tbsp. (as per your taste)
Tomato puree – 1 cup (200 ml or 2 large tomatoes)
Tamarind pulp – 1 large bowl (750 ml.)(100 gms. Tamarind)
Red chili powder – 2 tbsp. (as per your taste)
Coriander seed powder – 1 tbsp.
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp. (to garnish)
How to Make Andhra Chepala Pulusu with tamarind or
Fish Pulusu Recipe:
- First, clean fish pieces with the help of little salt and turmeric powder under water.
Tip: Above step will disinfect any microbes or bacteria.
- Take a wide vessel and add oil to it, once it’s hot add Fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds.
- Slice onions into small pieces and add them.
- Once onion turns translucent add green chilies and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for a while and add curry leaves and mix well.
- Drop fish pieces. (see the image for the size of a piece)
- Add turmeric powder and salt. (as per your taste)
- Mix well by shaking the vessel with hands. (watch video)
- Cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and shake the vessel.
Tip: Shaking gently will keep fish pieces intact if you are going to use spatula there is a tendency of breaking up pieces.
- Make tamarind pulp with 100 grams tamarind and 750 ml. water.
- Add tamarind pulp.
- Add red chili powder and cover the vessel with a lid and cook further.
- When Fish Pulusu Recipe is almost done add coriander leaves and off the flame.
- Garnish Andhra Chepala Pulusu with coriander leaves.
Tip: This recipe tastes great as time passes on, also this recipe can be consumed even after 24 hours at room temperature.
Fish Pulusu Recipe or Andhra Chepala Pulusu Video: