Gongura Pappu Recipe or Ambadi Baji dal is one of the famous South Indian Andhra Dal recipes. Instead of making plain dal recipe, South Indians prefer making it more nutritious by adding leafy vegetables. Gongura(Telugu) or Ambadi (Hindi) is called as sorrel leaves.
Adding red sorrel leaves to dal will make this recipe to taste sour. This recipe goes well with chapatti or plain rice accompanied with mango pickle and pappad. Our version of the recipe is purely made in Andhra Style.
Plucking gongura leaves will consume time, so it’s better to finish this process before beginning this recipe. I often pluck and keep leaves during night time and make this recipe for lunch.
Gongura Pappu Recipe | Andhra Style Gongura Dal
Gongura Pappu Recipe or Ambadi Baji Dal is one of the famous South Indian Andhra Dal recipes. Instead of making plain dal recipe, South Indians prefer making it more nutritious by adding leafy vegetables.
- Sorrel leaves – 1 large bunch
- Kandipappu/ tur dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin/ jeeera – ½ tbsp.
- Garlic cloves – 15 no. crushed
- Green chilies – 14 no. small size
- Dry red chilies – 2 no. sliced into two halfs
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 3 tbsp. as per your taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red chili powder – ½ tbsp.
- Water – to boil to add in dal
- Pluck gongura leaves and clean them with plenty of water.
- In a pressure cooker add tur dal and clean with water.
- In the same pressure cooker add 2 glass water, 1 tbsp oil and turmeric powder.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, garlic cloves and cumin seeds.
- Add both green and red chilies and saute for a while.
- Put few curry leaves along with gongura leaves and cook further.
- Add turmeric powder and 2 tbsp. salt.
- Pout this mix to dal and mix well.
- If you like thick version, then its almost done or else you may add little water and dilute it.
- But you need to adjust salt and spiciness by adding them extra as per your taste.
How to make Gongura Pappu Recipe:
- First plucks leaves of sorrel leaves and clean them in water.
- Add 1 cup dal in a pressure cooker and wash dal with adequate water.
- Pour 500 ml (2 glasses) water in dal, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp. oil and pressure cook.
Note: Pressure cook at high temperature for first whistle blow and then lower flame for next 2 whistle blows.
- On another hand, heat 2 tbsp. oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and garlic cloves.
- Add green chilies and sauté for a while and then add dry red chilies.
- Add curry leaves, gongura leaves and cook for a while by keeping the lid.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp. salt and turmeric powder, mix well.
- Add cooked dal to sorrel leaves.
- Pour 1 glass water in the pressure cooker and pour that water into dal.
- Sprinkle 1 more tbsp. salt to compensate sourness. (salt quantity need to be adjusted as per your taste)
- Add ½ tbsp. red chili powder. (adjust spiciness as per your taste)
- Serve Gongura Pappu hot with plain rice accompanied with papad.