Gongura Pulusu is one of the famous recipes from Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. When it comes to sorrel leaves, we find two variants. One is red stemmed and the other one is green stemmed. Red stemmed is a bit sour than other.
Because of this sour property, Andhra people like to make use of this leafy vegetable with dal combination. It is always a good idea to prepare leaves before you make this recipe. I have plucked leaves last night, cleaned under water and dried over the clean cloth.
While making Gongura Pulusu, cooking dal also plays an important role, usually, we cook dal in a pressure cooker, as this version is more gravy type, we can add little more water than usual. Make sure that bottom of the pressure cooker doesn’t get burnt while cooking dal as that will ruin our recipe.
I would like to remind you that our variation of the recipe doesn’t cover adding of dal. But if you want to make Gongura pappu pulusu then you need to pressure cook dal and add to this recipe. Apart from this recipe, you may also like to view Andhra Gongura Pachaadi.
Gongura Pulusu | Gongura Pappu Pulusu Andhra Recipe
Gongura Pulusu is one of the famous recipes from Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. Because of this sour property, Andhra people like to make use of this leafy vegetable with dal combination.
- Gongura/ sorrel leaves – 1 large bunch
- Green chilies – 4-5 no.
- Water – 500 ml.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Garlic cloves – 15 no.
- Dry red chilies – 2 no.
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Water - 400-500 ml as required.
- Pluck gongura leaves prior to recipe preparation, clean them and dry on a clean cloth.
- Boil leaves by adding adequate water.
- After a few seconds of boiling leaves get suppressed.
- Add green chilies and cook further till the water gets evaporated.
- Mash leaves while it is hot.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to leaves, dilute this mix by adding adequate water.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Heat oil in a separate vessel, once oil reaches optimum heat add mustard seeds.
- Add garlic cloves and cumin seeds.
- Once they start spluttering add curry leaves and red chilies.
- Before ingredients turn black, mix this temper to dal and mix well.
- Gongura Pulusu is ready to serve. This recipe goes well with plain rice.
How to make Gongura Pulusu Recipe:
- Pluck gongura leaves and clean them in water.
- Boil 400 ml. water in a vessel, add leaves into it.
- Add green chilies and cook along with leaves with lid covered.
- Once water is almost evaporated, remove from heat and mash leaves.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and ½ tbsp. salt.
- Add 100 ml. water and dilute all ingredients.
- Put this mix on a flame and cook further for a minute.
- In a separate vessel, heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and garlic cloves.
- Add dry red chilies and curry leaves, sauté for a while.
- Add sorrel leaves mix to above and mix all ingredients.
- Serve Gongura Pulusu hot.
Note: As this recipe is a kind of stew, if you like to have it thick reduce water or else you may add 100 ml water extra to this recipe.