Many of us like to make this recipe with leftover or fermented dosa or idli batter. If the batter is ready, this recipe can be made in no time with fewer ingredients like onions, chilies, and jeera.
In order to make Paniyaram recipe crispy from outside and soft and fluffy inside, one needs to take care of the heat and fermentation of the batter. You may also like Ulundu Vadai and Cabbage Vada recipes.
Gunta Punugulu | How to Make Gunta Punugulu | Ponganalu | Paniyaram
- Rice – 2 cups.
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Onions – 1 cup. finely sliced
- Green chillies – 2 tbsp. finely chopped
- Jeera – ½ tbsp.
- Ghee to fry
- Salt – ¼ tbsp.
- Coconut grated – 2 tbsp. optional
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp. optional
- Water – Required amount to soak.
- If you are already having dosa batter then you are ready to go.
- But if you need to start then take two cups of rice and a cup of moong dal.
Soak both ingredients for at least 4-6 hours.
- Grind both ingredients to a soft batter and let it ferment overnight.
Add ¼ tbsp. Salt, onions, jeera and green chilies to batter and mix well.
- Grease punugulu or paniyaram vessel with ghee or oil.
- Put batter in each hole and cook at low flame.
Cook till they turn a golden color, flip to other side and cook till done.
- Punugulu or paniyaram goes well with chutney or sambar.
- Make sure batter consistency is not loose.
- Cook ponganalu at low flame so that they get cooked from inside.
- We can sauté onions, jeera, chiles and grated carrot and add this mix to the batter.
How to Make Gunta Punugulu Recipe:
- Take two cups of rice and one cup of moong dal in the ratio 2:1.
- Soak two ingredients for about 4-6 hours by adding adequate water.
- Grind both the ingredients one by one to the fine paste.
- Add ¼ tbsp. salt and marinate for 4-5 hours.
- Take some quantity of batter into the bowl and add 1 cup sliced onions.
- Add 2 tbsp. finely chopped green chillies, ½ tbsp. jeera and mix well.
Tip1: At this point, you can add carrot grate and finely chopped coriander leaves.
Tip2: At this point, we can simply add raw onions, chillies, and jeera or roast them in oil and add them. But make sure that onions are overcooked.
- Take Punugulu vessel (preferably non- stick) and apply ghee to each hole of the vessel to fry Gunta Ponganalu.
- Using small spatula add batter to each hole and fry for a minute.
Tip: Batter must be running not hard. If needed we can add little water to it.
- When one side is cooked to golden brown, flip each punugu to another side.
- Gunta Punugulu Recipe is done, Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Tip: Paniyaram Recipe tastes great when they are hot and crispy.
How to Make Gunta Punugulu Video Recipe: