Haleem Recipe is a very popular recipe prepared during the period of Ramzan. This recipe is high in calories, Muslims consume it after breaking fast to regain exhausted energy. It is made from special herbs and meat which is cooked and mashed hard to gain soft texture.
Learn how to make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe with step by steps. The same recipe can be made with Mutton or even beef but it consumes time to cook meat.
During the month of Ramzan, this recipe has become staple food across India, although this is one of the Arab dishes, this recipe got the name in Hyderabad. There are specialized chefs for making this recipe and people strive to make this recipe for at least 5 hours.
Haleem Recipe, Learn How to Make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe
Ingredients for Haleem:
- Chicken – ½ kg. Whole chicken cut into large chunks
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
- Water – 2 glasses
- Salt – 2 tbsp.
- Onions -4 no. sliced thin and long
- Coriander leaves – 1 no. small bunch
- Mint leaves – 1 no. small bunch
- White pepper – ½ tbsp.
- Tasting salt – ½ tbsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Lemon – half cut pieces
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Oil – to deep fry
Dry Masala Ingredients:
- Green cardamoms – 5 nos.
- Bay leaves – 3-4 nos.
- Cinnamon sticks – 3 nos. 2-inch size
- Biryani flower – 1 no.
- Cloves – 2 tbsp.
- Sayajeera – 1 tbsp.
- Chana dal – ½ cup
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Toor dal/ yellow lentil – ½ cup
- Ground Wheat – 2 cups you can substitute with whole wheat, but it takes time to cook
How to Make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe:
- In a pressure cooker add green cardamoms, biryani flower, cinnamon sticks, cloves, bay leaves, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, sayajeera, chicken pieces, salt and two glass full water.
- Close pressure cooker lid and cook on high flame for first whistle blow and then lower heat for next 2 whistle blows.
- In another deep vessel add moong dal, wheat grains, toor dal and chana dal.
- Wash all pulses and add 4 glass full water and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the cooking process is going on slice onions into thin, long pieces to deep fry.
- In a kadai, heat oil and deep fry onions till they attain golden brown color. Keep aside.
- Once dal mixture is cooked, mash them with a stick.
- Separate chicken and its stock and add this stock to dal mixture and cook further.
- If you are using heavy and large vessel you can directly mash chicken.
- As this is a homemade haleem recipe, mashing meat becomes hard so with a help of fork, slice into small pieces like a fiber.
- Add this again to dal mixture and cook further so that it becomes soft, if needed you can even mash them furthermore.
- On another hand, fry cashew nuts to golden brown color, keep aside.
- In the same pan, with remaining oil, add sliced coriander and mint leaves.
- Once they turn soft, add to Haleem Recipe and mix well.
- To enhance flavor add tasting salt, pepper powder and ghee.
- Garnish Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe with cashew nuts and onion pieces.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe:
- In a pressure cooker add all dry ingredients, green cardamoms, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and biryani flower.
- Continue adding cloves of 2 tbsp. (20-25 cloves if they are small size) and 1 tbsp. Sayajeera.
- Put chicken in the above dry masala ingredients and add two glass full water to boil.
- Add ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste and 1 tbsp. turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp. salt. (adjust salt as per your taste).
- Close the lid and cook for 3 whistle blows. Until you get the first whistle, cook on high flame and then lower flame for next whistle blows.
- On another side, add all pulses – chana dal, moong dal, Toor dal and ground wheat.
- Add 2-3 glasses of water and wash all dals.
- Remove excess water and add 4 glasses of fresh water to cook.
- Add ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice onions into thin and long pieces and deep fry until you get golden brown color.
- Once dals are cooled, mash them for a minute.
- Remove the pressure cooker lid and pour chicken stock into dal mixture and cook on low flame for a while.
- Pour cool water over chicken and with the help of a fork, smash chicken into small fiber pieces.
- Cut coriander and mint leaves into small pieces.
- Add chicken pieces into dal mix.
- Mash haleem for 2-5 minutes until chicken becomes soft.
- Fry cashew nuts until they turn golden brown.
- In the remaining oil, add mint and coriander leaves and stir-fry until leaves become soft.
- Add this leaves and few cashews to haleem and mix well.
- Sprinkle white pepper powder and tasting salt.
- At the end of the process add ghee for extra flavor.
- Serve hot on the serving plate and garnish with fry onions, cashew, half onion piece and coriander leaves.
Tip: You can even garnish with half cut boiled eggs.
Note: If you want to preserve this recipe, then refrigerate this recipe immediately once cooled. As there are no preservatives added, it is always recommended to be served hot and immediate.