Hyderabadi Haleem is very popular recipe prepared during the period of Ramzan. Haleem Recipe is high in calories, Muslims consume it after breaking fast to regain exhausted energy. It is made from special herbs and meat which is cooked and mashed hard to gain soft texture. Learn how to make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe with step by steps.
Ingredients for Haleem:
Chicken – ½ kg. (Whole chicken cut into large chunks)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp.
Water – 2 glasses
Salt – 2 tbsp.
Onions -4 no. (sliced thin and long)
Coriander leaves – 1 no. (small bunch)
Mint leaves – 1 no. (small bunch)
White pepper – ½ tbsp.
Tasting salt – ½ tbsp.
Ghee – 1 tbsp.
Lemon – half cut pieces
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
Oil – to deep fry
Dry masala Ingredients:
Green cardamoms – 5 nos.
Bay leaves – 3-4 nos.
Cinnamon sticks – 3 nos. (2 inch size)
Biryani flower – 1 no.
Cloves – 2 tbsp.
Sayajeera – 1 tbsp.
Chana dal – ½ cup
Moong dal – ½ cup
Toor dal/ yellow lentil – ½ cup
Ground Wheat – 2 cups (you can substitute with whole wheat, but it takes time to cook)
How to Make Homemade Chicken Haleem Recipe:
- In a pressure cooker add all dry ingredients, green cardamoms, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and biryani flower.
- Continue adding cloves of 2 tbsp. (20-25 cloves if they are small size) and 1 tbsp. Sayajeera.
- Put chicken in the above dry masala ingredients and add two glass full water to boil.
- Add ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste and 1 tbsp. turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp. salt. (adjust salt as per your taste).
- Close the lid and cook for 3 whistle blows. Until you get the first whistle, cook on high flame and then lower flame for next whistle blows.
- On another side, add all pulses – chana dal, moong dal, Toor dal and ground wheat.
- Add 2-3 glasses of water and wash all dals.
- Remove excess water and add 4 glasses of fresh water to cook.
- Add ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice onions into thin and long pieces and deep fry until you get golden brown color.
- Once dals are cooled, mash them for a minute.
- Remove the pressure cooker lid and pour chicken stock into dal mixture and cook on low flame for a while.
- Pour cool water over chicken and with the help of a fork, smash chicken into small fiber pieces.
- Cut coriander and mint leaves into small pieces.
- Add this chicken pieces into dal mix.
- Mash haleem for 2-5 minutes until chicken becomes soft.
- Fry cashew nuts until they turn golden brown.
- In the remaining oil, add mint and coriander leaves and stir-fry until leaves become soft.
- Add this leaves and few cashews to haleem and mix well.
- Sprinkle white pepper powder and tasting salt.
- At the end of the process add ghee for extra flavor.
- Serve hot on the serving plate and garnish with fry onions, cashew, half onion piece and coriander leaves.
Tip: You can even garnish with half cut boiled eggs.
Note: If you want to preserve this recipe, then refrigerate this recipe immediately once cooled. As there are no preservatives added, it is always recommended to be served hot and immediate.
Chicken Haleem Hyderabad Style – Homemade: