In South India, many people prefer this recipe as naivedyam (food offered to God). Also, many families serve this recipe as a breakfast recipe for their children.
If I am left with rice last night I usually prepare pulihora as I need to add lemon juice and peanuts as the main ingredient. Also, turmeric powder adds color and curry leaves adds aroma to this recipe. In my other post, I mentioned preparation of Lemon Rice without the microwave.
Lemon Rice Microwave, How to Make Lemon Rice Recipe, Lemon Pulihora
Ingredients for Lemon Pulihora:
- Basmati rice – 1 ½ cups.
- Lemon juice – 3 tbsp.
- Oil/ ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Hing powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Dry chilies – 2 no.
- Black gram – 1 tbsp.
- Bengal gram dal – 2 tbsp.
- Fenugreek – ½ tbsp.
- Groundnuts – ½ cup.
- Mustard – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 15 no.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Salt – As per your taste
How to Make Lemon Rice Microwave:
- Wash rice and soak rice in 3 cups water for half an hour
- Take microwave safe bowl and add 3 cups water and above soaked rice to it.
- Adjust temperature to high and cook for 14 minutes with a lid covered over it.
Tip: Use perforated lid so that water doesn’t boil and come out of the bowl.
- Cook again for 5 minutes at normal temperature.
- Shift cooked rice to a plate and cool it so that rice grains don’t stick to each other.
- Take another safe bowl and add ghee, hing (asafoetida), dry red chilly, black gram, bengal gram and fenugreek seeds, mix all together.
- At high temperature, cook for 2 minutes without the lid until they turn their color.
- Add groundnut, mustard, curry leaves and turmeric powder, cook for a minute without the lid at high temperature.
- Mix all ingredients with cooled rice along with salt and lemon juice.
- Before serving, cook lemon rice microwave at medium temperature for 2 minutes.