Lemon Rice is one of the simple recipes. You can have it as breakfast or for lunch. It is often prepared on special occasions and as well as on festival days. During Vinayaka chavithi and Pongal festivals we find this mouth tingling recipe.
It is one of the simple recipes which can be made in minutes when you have leftover rice. Instead of making any kind of fried recipes learn how to make Lemon Rice Pulihora South Indian Style.
Unlike other fried rice recipes, this recipe doesn’t get spoiled that easy. That is the only reason many South Indians prefer making this recipe while traveling, this recipe goes well with yogurt.
Lemon Rice Recipe, How to Make Lemon Rice Pulihora South Indian Style
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Lemon juice - 5 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp.
- Urad Daal - 2 tsp.
- Chana Daal - 2 tsp.
- Dried Red chillies - 3
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Asafoetida - A pinch
- Roasted Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves - 11
- Grated coconut - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - As per your taste
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
How to Make Lemon Rice Pulihora South Indian Style:
- Wash the rice and add 4 cups of water, a little salt and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
Tip 1: If you are cooking for small quantity then use the measurement of 1:2 ratio (rice: water)
Tip 2: If you are cooking with old rice then soak it in water for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- You can also cook outside (electric cooker/microwave) just as you cook for daily use
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai (frying pan), add dried red chillies(break them into two), asafoetida, chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry them until the dals change their color to light brown. Add mustard seeds and peanuts
- When you find mustard seeds crackling, add curry leaves. Fry for 10 seconds more.
Tip: Take care while putting curry leaves as oil or flame may raise.
- Add turmeric powder and stir well. Add cooked rice, lemon juice and salt
Tip: While taking lemon juice, add little salt so that juice doesn't turn sour.
- Stir entire ingredients well. Garnish with grated coconut.
- Lemon rice is ready. Serve hot.